New DX9c out and WOW what a difference!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: New DX9c out and WOW what a difference!

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Hmmm....looks like Vista and DX10 displays a lot less info and has fewer tabs than I see in XP.

Larry

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

Thanks for this HU from me too....I used the first link and it updated my installation which was DX 9c but obviously not this latest version after a reboot I too have the version 4.09.000.0904 so I guess all is updated OK but I have not noticed too much difference in my FR....Glad to see that the version numbers tally...was wondering if it had actually installed.. :worried:

The fantastic FR that others seem to get is very good news....I expect there will be vast improvements for some and others like mine maybe not so vast.....all according to systems, Graphics cards etc.

Regards.

Bridon Bear

WinXP Home
Pentium Duel Core E2180 1MB Cache 64bit Processor (2 x 1.8Ghz)
2 GB DDR2 667Mhz Ram
250GB Serial ATA II HD
NVidia 8500GT 512MB PCI-E
Intel 946GZ Chipset MicroTX Motherboard

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

It's odd that some are seeing vast improvements (like me) and others are not. I have been watching similar threads on other forums and they all seem to be reporting the same, some good and some no different. I guess it must be CPU/GFX related somewhere.

Incidentally the DX9c build appears to be updated every couple of months or so but MS still refuses to rename each build so it still shows as DX9c each time (it should by rights be up to DX9j or k by now!) It pays to check for updates periodically and check the release date to make sure you have the latest one (this last one was obviously Mar 08).
Larry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Mine had not been updated before or tweaked in any way so I would expect a vast improvement.

I think that is where the difference will lay :think:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I try to keep up to date with the DX9c releases as it affects the development program for the WWII combat flight sim I help out with. That sim has also seen an increase in FPS since this new DX9c release which is also good news.
Larry

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Larry,

DX9c is the version of DX9. These updates are updates to DX9c, not new versions of the DX engine, hence why the letters don't incriment. DX9 is updated every few months. ;-)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Whatever I did seemed to work OK with proper installation from the first website given.

My version now reads: 4.09.000.0904

However using the standard FS9 DC3 to check frame rates before and aftert taking the limiter off I see some increase but very little difference in frame rate so Ihave gone back to limit the frame rate to 25FPS.

In the past there seems to have been a lot of chatter on websites about the 'ideal' framerate being 25FPS, the computer then using the rest of its processing power to do other things within the program being run e.g. update gauges more smoothly/quickly but that maybe so much hot air. I am not a computer buff and have to blunder along as best as is possible by paying attention to informed opinion on this website. Forum members current views on the use of limited frame rates would be interesting to read. Please do not start a war!

I wonder if the my first fouled attempt to download the new DX Drivers from the second website has left an uninstalled set of the latest drivers hanging about somewhere on my system? Perhaps some one would care to comment. I have tried 'search' for DX9C drivers but got a 'nil' return.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Hobby. As a general rule, framerate limiting is a good idea, but to check framerates of a particular model or scenery you need it off. DX9 is not a driver, ir is (in part) a graphics engine that the Graphics card driver talks to. To be honnest I'm very surprised to see folk with significan't benefits in just one DX update. This may be understandable, if they haven't updated DX for a while.

Glad your all opperational. :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

XR219 wrote:Hi Larry,

DX9c is the version of DX9. These updates are updates to DX9c, not new versions of the DX engine, hence why the letters don't incriment. DX9 is updated every few months. ;-)
Yes I realize this Ben but it is annoying that MS chose NOT to increment the letter when they issued new revisions as it makes it very difficult for developers to know just what 'flavour' of DX9c its customers are actually using. In my case the combat flight sim I help to develop requires a minimum 'flavour' in order to run (based on what was in use on the machine used to compile the final release) and despite having the installer point customers to the latest 'flavour' we still get complaints that the game crashes because someone's machine is many months out of date and they never bothered to follow the instructions provided with the update. :brick:
Larry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Thanks Ben. When testing scenery or models in future I shall turn off the limiter.