Name that plane...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Name that plane...

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Well I guess I don't need to wait until tomorrow to post the answer. Well done guys! :welldone:

It is indeed parts of FM212 as she undergoes much needed restoration after spending 43 years sitting atop a concrete pedestal in a city park and exposed to blistering heat and humidity during the summer (95+F [35C] with 95% humidity is not uncommon) and frigid cold in the winter (-4F [-20C] is common overnight). It did her no good at all and she suffered badly at the hands of Mother Nature (not to mention the local bird population and disrespectful kids!)

In addition to the links above here is a bit more info on her......

This is what she looked like on the pedestal......

Here is a page of photos of the inside when she was on the pedestal. It amazes me just how much gear was left inside her!

http://imageevent.com/gmockrcpilot/lancaster

Here are some more photos of her journey from the park to the mall for a fund raising stop before moving on to her new home at the airport....

http://internationalmetropolis.com/?p=371

She was given a full police and military guard of honour for the trip with the military being represented by the local branch of the Canadian equivalent to the TA.

This is what they replaced her with in the park.....

They are a pair of FG replicas with a touching tribute to what used to be there formed by the flower bed below them.
Larry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Thanks for the info Larry

Those GF replicas look good for what they are and looking at them from even a small distance many wouldn't know tthe difference.

Real aircraft are too valuable to have in such places so a very good compromise. :)

I missed Windsor at first as I didn't realise Canada went so far down at that point. Then it was a case of searching which one......... :cpu:

Chris beat me though....... :welldone:

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Garry Russell wrote:Thanks for the info Larry
No problem, glad you enjoyed it.
Garry Russell wrote:Those GF replicas look good for what they are and looking at them from even a small distance many wouldn't know tthe difference.

Real aircraft are too valuable to have in such places so a very good compromise. :)
I agree, they won't last 43 years like the Lanc though I bet! :o
Garry Russell wrote:I missed Windsor at first as I didn't realise Canada went so far down at that point. Then it was a case of searching which one......... :cpu:
LOL....well I think I have said before on here that I live in the Canadian equivalent to Blighty's Land's End. The only bit of Canada further south than us is an island the size of the Isle of Wight in the middle of Lake Erie. We are on the same latitude as Rome believe it or not! :o So much for the Great White NORTH eh! :lol:
Larry

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

mayagrafix wrote:BTW, in the upper right hand corner is that a Lockheed T-33 Shooting Star?
To be honest I have no idea what it is but it does look interesting. :dunno:

Windsor Airport has a long history with warbirds and several currently reside there including a few Harvards and Chippies as well as the Lanc now. For many years it was also home to a Spit flown by one of Canada's WWII aces. He made quite a name for himself on the NA airshow circuit for the stunningly low altitude shows he used to put on. My brother-in-law is a close personal friend of Jerry Billing (still alive but no longer flying as he is in his late 80s) and maintains his website for him. The link is below and is well worth checking out especially the numerous videos of him doing his low flying stuff (his ground crew were apparently constantly complaining about the amount of grass clippings they had to clear out of the intakes and radiator cowl after every show!) :o

http://www.jerrybilling.com/index.htm
Larry

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Garry Russell wrote: I missed Windsor at first as I didn't realise Canada went so far down at that point. Then it was a case of searching which one......... :cpu:
I had similar geography issues (is that west of south Ontario, or south of west Ontario!)- and at first I didn't think anyone would leave Lanc wings outside, until I remembered in Canada most of them have been outside for several decades until now! :)
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

The long peninsular that sticks off the bottom of the main province of Ontario is generally known as Southwestern Ontario. The other main regions are Northern Ontario, Eastern Ontario, Central Ontario and Southern Ontario (no Western Ontario for some reason).

The Detroit/Windsor border crossing is the only place in the USA where you actually drive South to enter Canada!
Larry