Your First Flight?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Your First Flight?

Post by FlyTexas »

This should be an interesting thread...I hope. :worried: Do you remember your first flight? The aircraft type? Specific things about the flight which you remember to this day? To get things started...my first flight was in a single engined Cessna - I couldn't tell you the type. I distinctly remember having to stretch my neck to see over the side window sills. My parents have since told me that the flight was part of a local airport promotion where short flights were given at the cost of a penny-a-pound. My mother, brother, and myself all fit into the back seat of that Cessna. :$ My first flight probably cost my parents about 40 or 50 cents. :lol:

Brian

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Your First Flight?

Post by nigelb »

My first flight was a short sight seeing flight around KDCA - I was in the Boy Scouts at the time and one of the troop fathers had a Cessna. My first commercial flight was from Dulles to Dallas (Love Field) on a Braniff 727. It was a little different to the Cessna flight ;-) , which I enjoyed more because I could see a lot more and watching the pilot and hearing all the radio chatter was fascinating.

Nigel²

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

My first flight was in a 'Chippie' at RAF Shawbury as a spotty, 13 year old, ATC cadet. My first glider flight was also as a cadet at RAF Ternhill. Happy days! :roll: :lol:
Larry

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

First flight was on Southwest Airlines from Dallas to Houston. Was a 737-200, and it was red and tan. :) Not too long later (several years) was doing that flight at least once a summer by myself and I remember once landing at night in rain and watching the sheet lightning on the way to my grandparents' house from Hobby.

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Post by DispatchDragon »

From Valcartier to Wolf River - 1955 - Cessna 170B (on Ski's) I was eighteen months old and apparently I was asleep when I got in the aircraft -- and awoke on my mothers lap at about 1500 feet -- she said I looked out and then down and my eyes got as big as saucers!. The first clearly remembered flight was from
Staverton about five years later in an Auster I rode along while my father and Harold Wingham took aerial photos of Iron Age earth works along the western edge of the Cotswolds, I remember it being noisy and cold.

Leif

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Hi,

My first flight was 1970 in Douglas DC-3 G-AMPZ Norwich - Rotterdam - Norwich. I was still at school and I'd just started a 'pocket money job' working for Air Anglia cleaning aircraft. I went as part of the crew. After the pax had disembarked for their day trip in Rotterdam I did a quick tidy up and then the crew looked after me for the rest of the day. Exciting stuff for a 15 year old lad of the time. Happy memories - sigh!

Regards

John

fran65
Lightning
Lightning

Post by fran65 »

...nice post Brian! ;-)
The first was an Alitalia flight :-( , from Venice LIPZ to Lamezia Terme LICA, via Rome Fiumicino, in a MD80, for a working day.
The first GA flight was in a CESSNA C152, for my 40, as FO :lol: , dep and arr LIPT, a tipical sunday flight.
I remember the guy in command told me "Flight Simulator is a great trainer, but you can't feel the aircraft under your a**...." :flying:
Francesco

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

June 1967. Cambrian Airways Viscount from Liverpool to Douglas. To see the 'Mike the Bike' Hailwood on the Honda versus Giacomo Agostini on the MV Agusta in the Senior TT. It was one of the most exciting races ever with a disappointing ending when Hailwood's chain snapped as he rounded Creg ny Baa - where I was sitting with my legs dangling over the race track.

The flight was good too :lol:

Ian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Ooo.. '72 I think.. BMA One-Eleven EMids to Beauvais.. champagne flight! :drinkers: Coach from Beauvais to gay Pari' taking in all the usual tourist sights (first time I'd seen horse for sale in a butchers! :o ) then back to Beauvais late afternoon for the return :)
First GA.. probably '77 in what I think was a Cherokee.. pilot was ex PAF and a veteran of the scrap in Angola. He crashed a few weeks later breaking both legs :o

ATB

DaveB :tab:
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

HP Herald G-APWG British United in 1968......we were number two for take off to a BEA Argosy

Oh the memories :)

Garry
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."