Book Recommendation

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Book Recommendation

Post by Tomliner »

Recently re-read the classic Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann
Absolute Classic.A book of its time.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Just bought " Vulcan Test Pilot " by Tony Blackman....looks an interesting read...i'll post a mini review after i read it.... :thumbsup:

ISBN 978-1-906502-30-0

On rear cover....

In 2007 a restored Avro Vulcan Mark 2 - XH558 - took to the skies to help commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Falklands conflict.
To coincide with this Vulcan test pilot , the first book about test flying the monumental delta wing aircraft which dominated the
history of the late 20th century , was published to great acclaim , and now appears in paperback form with updated material.
Tony Blackman is the ideal man to write such a tale as he flew no less than 105 of the 136 Vulcans built , logging 850 flights at over 1,327 hours.
His book describes in laymens terms what it was like to tame the first prototypes and to master the unusual characteristics necessitated
by the Vulcans shape. His words , descriptions and hitherto largely unpublished photographs will make people feel as he did the excitement
of handling such an increibly powerful monster which could and did bite back.

Sounds a good read...?

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

basys wrote:Hi Folks

Recommend *****
Recently re-read the classic Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann
N.B. Film of same name is nothing like the book.

HTH
ATB
Paul
Just bought it today. £9.99 from Borders. :)

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Fate is the Hunter. Got that for Christmas. Very good read.
Jack Currie did a sequel to Lancaster Target. Cannot remmber title but he ended up flying weather Mossies over Germany.

Got Ernest Gann's Autobiography 'A Hostage to Fortune' on order.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

One more from me, a book I bought several months ago and is approaching the top of the 'to read' list.

Sagittarius Rising, by Cecil Lewis.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sagittarius-Ris ... 0751509310

From the back cover...

" One of the classics of World War 1 literature, Sagittarius Rising brings to life the illustrious career of a passionate fighter pilot. Sent to France aged just seventeen, Cecil Lewis quickly joined the brave, pioneering pilots who took to the skies over the smoking battlefields of the Somme.

In this engaging and spirited account, Lewis vividly sets his love for the skies and flying against his bitter experience of war. Beautifully written and by turns horrifying, moving and exhilarating, this is a stirring tribute to the remarkable young men who risked their lives daily in the golden age of aerial combat. "

George Bernard Shaw, no less, said it was a book that everyone should read. Looking forward to settling into it. :)

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Read Sagittarius Rising a good few years ago, Very good, This post reminds me I don't read as much as I should.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Jack Currie's book which followed 'Lancaster Target' is called 'Mosquito Victory.'

AndyG
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AndyG »

Our local library service were giving away copies of "Spitfire Women" by Giles Whittell, an absolutely fascinating book about the ladies of the ATA. Well worth picking up, even if you have to pay for it!

ISBN-13: 978-0007235360
Last edited by AndyG on 28 Aug 2009, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

Sl4yer
Trident
Trident

Demons in the Dark

Post by Sl4yer »

Bought 'Demons in the Dark' by Tom Atkins from the author himself at Waddington this year. Tom was telling the line waiting to board the Sentry how he'd been recording the stories told by the Bomber Command veterans he met through the RAFA, and (along with other research) put the book together to keep the stories alive. It's fictional, but containing several real characters and many real situations. Plenty of technical detail of Lanc ops for us nerdy types as well. It's both funny and tragic, and extremely graphic in it's descriptions of the horrors of war. A very good read!

Published by Vanguard, £12.99. ISBN 9781843864851

James

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

Hi folks,

Just a reminder when posting on this thread....please include an ISBN number whenever possible ;-)

Many thanks

Derek :)
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals