Book Recommendation

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Book Recommendation

Post by Tomliner »

I recently bought a copy of 'Test Pilot' by Tony Blackman (ISBN 978-1-906502-36-2).It is a very interesting account of his life in aviation.He was a test pilot on all the V Bombers as well as the Nimrod and 748 and many other types.This book was published this year and is well worth a look at.It is in hardback at £20 but may available cheaper on Amazon etc.ATB EricT :)
Last edited by Tomliner on 01 Jul 2009, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

DelP
The Gurus

Re: Book Recommendation

Post by DelP »

Hi Eric, thanks for that.

I've stickied your post.....for those of us who still read books...... :worried: :lol:

Anyone else can add to the list.

I've just finished reading 'The Luck of the Devil' an autobiography 1934-1941 by Air Vice Marshall A.G. Dudgeon, found in a charity shop for 20p...ISBN 0906393 54X.

From Cranwell in 1934, flying Harts in the Middle East then Blenheims in North Africa....a very good read ;-)

ATB,

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

Fodda
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Fodda »

I'll chuck a couple into the pot here, although I'm sure most of you have read either or both previously, it's a great recommendation for anyone else.

First off, read Vulcan 607 by Rowland White (ISBN 978-0552152297). The amazing story of the Vulcan raids over the Falklands.

Once you've read that, go for Sea Harrier Over the Falklands by Sharkey Ward (ISBN 978-0304355426). This is a great tale of fighter engagements during the Falklands conflict and Sharkey also has interesting things to say about the Vulcan operations presented in my previous recommendation. :worried: :-#

delticbob
Concorde
Concorde

Post by delticbob »

From a charity shop to a paper pasting table at Bruntingthorpe.....Many years ago I bought "Lancaster Target" (originally published 1977....my paperback 1986 & 6th impression), by Squadron Leader Jack Currie while attending a Cold War Jets day at Brunty. Fascinating read if you can get hold a copy.

Bob
I can fly now with my fantastic new PC

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

Barefoot Soldier...by Johnson Beharry....VC awardie....A truly Fantastic Read.... :thumbsup:

Tony
The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Bridon Bear
The Ministry

Post by Bridon Bear »

I've just finished reading 'The Luck of the Devil' an autobiography 1934-1941 by Air Vice Marshall A.G. Dudgeon, found in a charity shop for 20p...ISBN 0906393 54X.
Amazing Del...I bought the self same book about a month ago...also from a charity shop but mine cost me £1..........but it is a signed copy by Mr Dudgeon himself on 17th August 1986.

Not read it as yet but the cover showing a B&W shot showing the Hawker on it's nose caught my attention :thumbsup:

Regards

Bridon Bear

'Only Birds and Fools Fly'

http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk

Trev Clark
The Ministry

Post by Trev Clark »

I have just finished 'Fairey Rotodyne' by David Gibbings. A good book on a forgotten (in FS too, pretty much) British triumph.. :lol: :lol: I got it via Amazon.
ATB Trev

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

This afternoon I finished reading "Under An English Heaven" by Robert Radcliffe.

This is the tale of 'Crew 19' and their operational tour in a B17 'Misbehavin Martha' in the 8th Air Force of the USAAF during WW2. All sorts of issues crop up and are excellently portrayed, separation for long periods of husband and wife, the experiences of an evacuee who makes friends with the crew and groundcrew of the aircraft, borstal and the treatment of young offenders at a that time together with the problems of food rationing. Anyone who lived at that time will recognise much of what is written.

The air to air combat sequences are enthralling and if any forum members do read the book I recommend that they do read to the very end of the book for there is asomewhat surprising ending which features all the main characters in the book who remained alive into the 1990s.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

This afternoon I finished reading "Under An English Heaven" by Robert Radcliffe
Hi Hobby.I read that book some time ago and thought that it was excellent.I have also recently finished reading 'A Pair of Silver Wings' by James Holland which,although fiction, is very well researched and is a superbly written story set in recent times with flashbacks to WW2 in Cornwall,Malta and Italy.
Regarding my original post re 'Test Pilot' by Tony Blackman,I have almost finished this book now and can only re-state that is a briiliant read.His recollections of test flying the 748 and Vulcan are superb.He also flew many other types.ATB EricT :)
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks

Recommend *****
Recently re-read the classic Fate is the Hunter by Ernest K. Gann
N.B. Film of same name is nothing like the book.

HTH
ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !