Book Recommendation

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Re: Book Recommendation

Post by Tarasdad »

My wonderful wife bought me a Barnes & Noble Nook for my birthday. So far I have almost 200 books loaded onto it. No aviation books yet, but those will come. We're saving up for another move (owner of house we're currently in declared bankruptcy and is losing the house to the bank, yay) so I have to be a bit picky about spending funds to purchase e-books right now. All the ones I currently have are free with one sole exception that cost me a whopping 99¢ (.64 £), Jules Verne's immortal Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

petermcleland wrote:This might be of interest to some:-

http://www.melrosebooks.com/SGbookDetails.php?id=354
"White Ship - Red Crosses" is now in its second edition!

Did you read it Rick?

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks

I'd just finished 3 flying classics by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
* Southern Mail
* Night Flight
both in a single volume - ISBN 0-14-004170-2
and
* Flight to Arras - ISBN 0-14-018768-5

Worthwhile, but some heavy-going philisophical content.

HTH
ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

Just finished Island Pilot (ISBN: 1898852057 / 1-898852-05-7) by Captain Alan Whitfield

An excellent memoir by Captain Alan Whitfield on the work he and others did in setting up the inter-island scheduled flight service in the Shetlands by Loganair.

A perfect companion to the BN2 Islander for FSX and the new VFR Photographic Scenery Vol. 5 - Orkney & Shetland Isles. Well written, amusing and very captivating story, with much personal insight and some measure of life experience. Great stuff :thumbsup:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

gordon-in-aberdeen wrote:Just finished the excellent Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White. :thumbsup:
Just finishing that myself - got it from tesco in their 'BOGOF' promotion - in fact, I picked up loads of Afghanistan/Iraq type books under that scheme - so a happy teddy - but this one, of course, is based around the threat to Belize, even though that only takes up a small part of the book.

If you are a Buccaneer, Phantom, Ark Royal or FAA fan, you should definitely have a gander at this one.

It's at Amazon, too - for half what I paid for it.

The only downer for me, as a born revolutionary, was having to read the shortened biog of every officer and politician in it. :bandit:

JD

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Just got 'Empire of the Clouds - When Britains Aircraft Ruled the World' by James Hamilton-Paterson.

Anyone else have it?

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

The only downer for me, as a born revolutionary, was having to read the shortened biog of every officer and politician in it.
To be fair it's not every officer, my dad's isn't even mentioned despite appearing as a member of the supporting cast twice.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Chris558 wrote:Just got 'Empire of the Clouds - When Britains Aircraft Ruled the World' by James Hamilton-Paterson.

Anyone else have it?
Got it reserved at Cambridge central library. The only problem is...I'm sixth on the list, so I'll probably get to read it in the summer. Looks very good indeed.

This Christmas' aviation read is also from the library...'Bomber Command' by Max Hastings. It'll be the third book of his I've read in the last 6 months, the other two being 'Nemesis' and 'Finest Years'.

JohnWillimas
VC10
VC10

Post by JohnWillimas »

Chris558 wrote:Just got 'Empire of the Clouds - When Britains Aircraft Ruled the World' by James Hamilton-Paterson.

Anyone else have it?

Yepp, just working my way through it - much of what is said fits in with how I felt growing up in the fifties, but I'd be interested to hear other folks take on the author's view point. It does seem to capture very well how British industry (in this case aviation) lost the plot through that time and how the Government's hand in business didn't help. What I certainly hadn't realised was just how dangerous being a British test pilot was in the fifties! Its so much easier no we can turn crash detect off... :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Dangerous indeed John :-O

In those days, the lost of a prototype, or two in often fatal circumstances was almost the norm.

In those day there was only one way to find out and since they were pushing the boundaries any problems often showed up as a complete structual failure of a vital part of the frame or a major lost of control :(

Brave men indeed.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."