Ark Royal and Harriers to be Scrapped

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

John
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Ark Royal and Harriers to be Scrapped

Post by John »

DarrenL wrote:
As for the Queen/PoW having cats from the start, I think you may have been looking at the French version)
No definitely British versions, granted the carriers are an ACA project, but the UK carriers have been 'future proofed' all along.

Kind regards

John

Ps What is the status of PA2? has the build commenced yet? Also have they still delayed the decision on the second French carrier until 2012?
never give up, never surrender

DarrenL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DarrenL »

Not even been officially ordered yet, so a long way from construction even if it goes ahead.

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

DarrenL wrote:Not even been officially ordered yet, so a long way from construction even if it goes ahead.
Ha ha so much for sharing resource, thanks for that

John

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

The Ark Royal has her own twitter account, let 'em know how you feel, if you want...

http://twitter.com/#!/hmsarkroyal

Kind regards

John

Vulcan_to_the_Sky!
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vulcan_to_the_Sky! »

I've been listening to whats happening on the radio with great interest. For some reason up until now I'd missed what was going to happen to Illustrious. In a way its a shame about Ark Royal but I feel it'll be worth it in the long run, the "Carriers" must surely be past their out of service date by now.

I'd heard the same information about one carrier being fitted out with cats and traps. They were talking about EMCAT (electromagnetic catapult) and its advantages. One source said that by buying F/A-18's and running those the saving would be £100 million. I didn't know the other carrier was to become a helicopter carrier.

Its a shame to see such a famous ship name as Ark Royal go, all the many incarnations over the years have had plenty of battle honors to be proud of, shame it ended like this.

Im not sure that the F-35 was such a good idea, the harrier while old seemed a capable enough aircraft. At least on the positive side the navy will have a proper strike carrier again even if it is nine years (unless any major delays) away.