Totally WEIRD - help?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Totally WEIRD - help?

Post by forthbridge »

Right guys

This is and odd one. In the bedroom, we have a 20 inch LCD telly sitting on a chest of drawers on the north wall. At the edge of the unit is a Wii, against a second tall unit which sits at the side. At the other side of the TV is SWMBO's 'handbag fund' ceramic shoe - saving - pot. The TV sits in the middle.

This morning, (second time this has happened), there was a pool of water in front of the TV on the top if the unit. At the left, rear, a few 'dribbles' on the area below the power cable/aerial input/power cable. Front right and rear left on the unit were three spots of water (as if dripped from a pipette).

I have (again) looked very carefully and there is no sign of any leak above the TV - the ceiling is 100% bone dry. Nothing dribbling down the walls either. Having experienced a leak in a previous house, I would (anyway) exepect evidence that the water had dropped from a few feet above (IE splashes) - but there is nothing. It is as if there has been something left which has been leaking (but nothing was on the unit).

To give an idea the 'pool' (fairly large) extended forward from the pedestal the TV sits on, exactly in the centre, but with no water underneath, except a spot or two under the front feet, and evidence of a drip on the inside. If I lift the TV, I Can feel 'damp' from the side of the unit (front/back join).

We have had very low pressure and damp weather recently (a rapid drop) which was similar to the last time (when I asssumed SWMBO had spit something) - but despite no similar issues with PC monitors or the main TV (Also LCD) I am conviced it is somehow attracting condensation inside which then leaks. This is a safety concern obviously, but should theoretically be safe as long as no one touches the TVV when it's on. It is out of warranty now and obviously only every now and then (specific conditions) cause this to happen - but does my theory sound plausible and does anyone think I have a case to return the TV?
Jim

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Totally WEIRD - help?

Post by speedbird591 »

I suspect you've been watching too many wet programmes, Jim. Deadliest Catch, Britain's Secret Seas - that sort of thing. Run a DVD of Lawrence of Arabia a couple of times and it should dry out nicely. You have to have a balanced viewing regime you know.

If you start getting a smell of rotten fish and seagulls flapping round the window then I'm afraid it's too far gone and it'll need a strip down.

All the best.

Ian :worried:

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

forthbridge wrote:In the bedroom, we have a 20 inch LCD telly sitting on a chest of drawers on the north wall. At the edge of the unit is a Wii, against a second tall unit which sits at the side. At the other side of the TV is SWMBO's 'handbag fund' ceramic shoe - saving - pot. The TV sits in the middle.
OK Jim, my tuppence worth.....I agree that it's probably condensation forming on 'colder' materials and pooling. The reason for the condensation could be too much heavy breathing in the bedroom.

I'd suggest that the Wii is moved out of the bedroom and only used for golf or bowling ;)

Sorry mate, couldn't resist........ :lol:

Derek :wasntme:
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

:lol:

Cheers guys: no heavy breathing unless my snoring counts, and the Wii gets used for the weight check about once a month :lol:

I am just back in and have had a look: there is water appearing from the aerial cable connection. It SURELY isn't coming in through that since it must be defying gravity and getting up from the cables lowest point (the floor??)
Jim

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Are you sure it's a Wii and not a Wii Wii ??
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

forthbridge
Concorde
Concorde

Post by forthbridge »

:lol:

Looked like a wee puddle....
Jim

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Maybe your being haunted by a wee ghost.
:worried:

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

forthbridge wrote::lol:

Cheers guys: no heavy breathing unless my snoring counts, and the Wii gets used for the weight check about once a month :lol:

I am just back in and have had a look: there is water appearing from the aerial cable connection. It SURELY isn't coming in through that since it must be defying gravity and getting up from the cables lowest point (the floor??)
Is the cable fed from a cavity in the wall or trunked inside the room? could have a leak finding a way in along your cable...

All Wii taking aside, :hide: , have you guys tried the dogfight on Sports Resort?

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

If there is water getting into the TV aerial feeder cable, it could be travelling through gravity and capilliary action. A co-ax cable consists of a centre conductor, which may be multi-stranded, surrounded by a plastic sheath. The sheath is surrounded by a screen made up of several woven strands of wire and then the outer casing. If the casing is damaged, water can get in, or it could get in where the cable connects to the aerial itself if the weatherproofing was damaged (or non-existant).

Try replacing the feeder cable - that may solve the problem. Standard TV co-ax is 75 ohm, by the way.

Myles

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

To be serious, it sounds to me as though your aerial - which I presume to be an external one - has lost the rubber cover which should cover the connection of the co-ax cable to the aerial .The theory is this : this may allow heavy precipitation to penetrate the coax cable , however unlikely this may seem. Since the head of water will be the difference between the aerial connection height and the ultimate release height i.e. the TV height, there will be sufficient pressure to carry the water through the junction box on your wall and up to the TV , as with any siphon arrangement

In practice, it seems hard to believe that the cable could act as a pipe for siphon purposes, and yet there seems to be no other explanation

I do not believe that condensation could create the volume of water you are speaking about . There is no air-conditioning unit nearby is there?