All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by DaveB »

We'll be having pictures of 'pop' wagons on here next! :lol:

Anyone old enough to remember National Service and troopships? I got talking to my Uncle last week and as happens every now and again, one odd comment leads to something completely different.. much like our threads go off topic here once in a while :lol: Anyway, I knew he'd done National Service in Cyprus. I've tried to find details of his flight out to Egypt (Faid) from Blackbushe but have only been able to come up with sketchy info. I'm pretty certain from his description of the aircraft and the time of the flight, he went out on a Hermes. From Faid, our troops then moved by road to Port Said and then over to Cyprus by ship, He remembered the name of the ship along with the dates and I've been able to find pictures of both the ship and the ships log. Here's the ship.. Asturias.

He didn't fly back to the UK on completion of his tour.. he came back on Asturias. Anyone else here remember her? He was chuffed to bits I found the info for him. This was the first time he'd seen or heard of Asturias since 1957 :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Dave, im pretty sure this is the same ship, built in Belfast... http://ssasturias.net/
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

AFAIK Ben all P&O liners at that time and over a span of many, many years were built by Harland & Wolffe including the Canberra B-)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Rich
VC10
VC10

Post by Rich »

Brookes I think was a Nottingham pop I am going back to 62 so may have lost a few Mb of memory, the factory if I am right was in or near Arnold where Mrs Rich (RIP) lived, Daybrook maybe for the factory .
Rich

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ben..

Yes, that's the one. That site is where I found the ships log :thumbsup: She looked different in her early years, having a dummy stack up fwd (as did many ships of the day). My uncle has quite fond memories of her noting especially, how good the food was onboard. I gather she moved about a bit when the sea picked up but everything does in my experience :lol:

Quite frankly, I was surprised at just how much info there is about her on the net but on reflection, much of this is probably due to her beeing a 'trooper'.. many of the references coming from either Army or RAF associations :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Blister
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Blister »

I lost my Dad this year too, back in May - hurts doesn't it?

RIP

A
If the good old days were as bad as today - then we are up to our necks in it!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

It does mate. I talk to my uncle and spend a lot of time with him (surrogate dad) but you only have one dad :( I'm lucky in that I don't have any bad memories of either him or mom and that helps ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Looking for any aeroplane photos that I may have missed, I discovered the following from 50 years back; thought I recognised the bricks, then realised it was me and my 1955 Cub. :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Great hair-do Mike ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

I too had a 'Baby Bonnie'. Mine had the forks, headlight and brake from a 350cc T90. I've got a proper Bonnie now, although it's been sitting in the back of the garage looking sad for the last two years whilst I ride a Yamaha MT03. :(

Good photo Mike. :thumbsup: