All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by DaveB »

God.. doesn't Ganges look scary in B&W :-O Nice couple of shots there mate. ;)

Here's a similar one of my Dad taken (I think) around the time he was disgorged from Vidicatrix at Gravesend.. the Merchant Navy training school. He was too young to join when the war started. Not sure if he was one of the many who lied about their age (it has been suggested!) but the only job a lad could do at 16 was Cabin Boy so that's what he did :) Not long after, he'd got Atlantic, Russian and Med convoys under his belt.

Note the hand colouring.. very posh :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

My Mum used to earn extra cash by colouring in Wedding pics and the like :cpu:

We still have the special paint kit she used in a bespoke wooden box. :)
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Dave B
Sorry to hear of your double loss, please accept my sincere condolences.
The same goes to Adrian.
As I'm in my 70's I'm getting too close for comfort.........So I had wanted to share some of my old family pics but I do not seem to be able to attach the images - they are .jpg & less than the regulation size.
Regards
Keith

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Hi Keith :hello:

You have to upload to Photo Bucket or similar file hosting site, then then paste the picture link into the post :)
Garry

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

I suppose sea-side holiday snaps are O.K. ? :agree: .Well here's one my old dad took earlier - a lot earlier - 1951.
Taken on Southport beach standing in front of that gorgeous D.H.83 Fox Moth , are me and my brother.
I'm the one in his brand-new school blazer and 'plimmies'. This was the start of it all - my first flight. :excited:
Cheers
Dave M(oly)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

That's a blinder Dave.. just the thing I was hoping you'd all post :thumbsup:

Keith.. try somewhere like Photobucket as Garry suggested but make sure you don't rely on it as a backup. Only a couple of days ago, I revisited Photobucket as I wanted to link one of my collections to someone and found all my folders empty :-O :( I still have the shots but they're spread all over the place on different pc's 8)

Garry.. nice story about your mom hand colouring wedding phots, especially as you still have the kit! Mom and Dad's wedding phots (a handful) were hand coloured too and they look so much nicer than the plain B&W versions ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Some of my Parents own wedding shots are hand coloured and they do have a sort of atmosphere.

In the days when pics were black and white and sepia toned to be posh, the hand coloured made things really special :)

Nowadays everything is so clean and simple as well as instant which is great, but there is no magic to it, the magic like when I used to go to kids parties at Christmas and saw the cartoons in colour via a film projector.

I can still feel that now when I think back and such memories as shown here remind me that the memories are still there. :)
Garry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Now you've started something Dave.Sorry to hear of you recent losses.It will be painful for some time.
This was taken during WW2 and shows my late dad(on the left) with his shipmates.He died aged 63 in June 1977 followed in August 1977 by my father in law aged 57.My wife's mother then went in 1980 also aged 57,probably as the result of a broken heart.
I have very little knowledge of dad's war service other than he was a gunner with the RN.I wish I had asked him more about it.EricT
ps I thought I'd add these two as well
This was my my late mum who passed away in 2003 aged 84.Mam was a very poor eater,smoked like a chimney until her last years and if bets had been taken many years ago as to which parent would be the first to, mam would have been odds on favourite.The old creaking gate syndrome maybe.
This is yours truly taken at Spitalgate Grantham in about 1963.This shows the height of my career in aviation!.What a poseur eh?EricT :agree:
Last edited by Tomliner on 20 Aug 2011, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Seaking
VC10
VC10

Post by Seaking »

Tomliner

I know what you mean about wishing you knew more, my father never ever spoke of his young years or his navy time, all I ever
knew was that he was evacuated from London and didn't go to a really nice place.
I'm not sure about service records in WWII but I managed to get my grandfathers complete RN service record but that was WWI
maybe something you could look into.
I know he was on the Dido and a minesweeper.
So sorry to hear of Dave's loss, my condolences, sure got my brain going trying to find old pics of the family.
AsusP5Q mobo P45 Chipset
QX6850 extreme 3ghz running at 3.6
4 gig OCZ DDR2 1066Mhz PC8500
XFX 8800GTS 512 G92Engine

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for your kind thoughts fellas.. VM appreciated ;)

I love these phots. Even though I don't know most of you personally, it feels like I do because I've known you here for so long. That makes 'em even more special ;) Friends/Forces Reunited eat your heart out :thumbsup:

Eric.. looked at the arm badges and knew straight away your Dad was a gunner. Obviously wartime too with the lack of 'unit' on the cap talley.. just H.M.S. ;) Nice phot of your mum too.. the family resemblance of you in the Sedbarge is obvious ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage