All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DispatchDragon
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain
Location: On the corner of walk and dont walk somewhere on US1

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by DispatchDragon »

You know I have trouble doing the condolences thing Dave,,,,,But I know exactly how you feel.....I was thinking of all the photos we have of ALL our yesterdays -- and was tempted put one of myself , sitting in the cockpit of an AES Chippie at Cambridge in the mid 60s , or at the wheel of a bright blue 61 Anglebox....but I thought you might enjoy this good looking redhead, the first female EE in REME at Donnington depot in 1943.............

Leif

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Dave, condolences on the loss of your mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I can certainly empathize with your losses - both my parents have passed on, my father died in 1964 and my mother in 2007. My wife passed on in 2002 at a fairly young age. You will never really get over the losses but time does help to heal and you are left with the fond memories of their lives and the remembrance of the times you shared together.

Nigel²

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

As I dont upload my photos for storage I dont know the routine, but a few years ago I did do a bit of a 'write up' for Barry Clay's History of Coventry airport, so here are most of my memories ( we didn't take a lot of photos in those days!) The piece was written as he had confused my Uncle & my father, or even thought they were the same person.
Go to: http://wonwinglo.scale-models.net/id56.htm & scroll down to the bottom!
Happy memories........
Keith
http://wonwinglo.scale-models.net/id56.htm

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Some lovely stories and pictures :thumbsup:

Here's a couple of phot's that'll make you snigger. Years ago when a biker finally reached a point when he needed to move on to a means of transport more in line with having a family, the easiest and cheapest route was to get a 3-wheeler. You didn't need to pass a test (as long as you had a full motorcycle license) and in one go, you were out of the cold and into the not so cold :lol: My dad had 3 Reliants.. the first was a pale blue Regal 3/25 saloon (3 for 3 wheels and 25 for 25hp) and I've not come across a phot of it yet. TBH, he didn't keep it long as it wasn't reliable (as I remember) so he chopped it in for this little tinker..
This was, I think, either a Supervan II or Supervan III. It had a new all aluminium engine with a 4 speed box (something lacking in the old side-valve 3 gear 3/25) and had a fibreglass floor to replace the wooden effort in the saloon :-O

His last Reliant was this little lady.. a Supervan III 21E.
The 21E tag stood for 21 extras and it was a good few quid more expensive than the standard model. Metallic paint (Manhatten Blue in this example) with pinstripes, individual fog and spot lamps, chrome trim, fully fitted carpet, walnut effect dash.. and on it went :lol: I spent many happy hours as a kid in Reliants and I learned to drive in one. My mom and dad's brothers also had one and most weekends, the convoy of 3 could be found wending it's way around the Midlands and North Wales. It was like being in a club and I guess it was. Fellow Reliant drivers always flashed their headlamps and waved when they passed, much as bikers do now because the majority of owners were ex-bikers. Happy Days ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

*-) :-#
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Then there was also the Bond series.....(not 007!)
I never had a 3 wheeler I went from a bike to a Morris Minor - 1931 variety, 3 speed crash box, OHC engine with the vertical dyno. It would do 70 mph with cable bike type brakes which were useless - I failed my driving test because of those, I think the examiner in Aldershot was scared out of his wits in it & failed the car - well thats my story!
Keith

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes mate, I remember the Bond Bug very well and couldn't believe how expensive it was! :-O I was never very fond of the remainder of the Bond series.. they reminded me more of invalid carriages. Of course, the pinnacle for Reliant was the Scimitar series.. one famous customer being a member of royalty :)
We had a bloke in our village who'd famously owned 3-wheelers ever since I could remember. He'd tried to pass his 4-wheel test at least 12 times and failed but he did eventually pass. He got a VW Beetle and managed to roll it! Sounds impossible I know but he did :lol:

Garry.. they look odd I know but this was the first time we were able (as a family) to go anywhere together that didn't involve some sort of public transport. That was a novelty in itself :lol: They didn't rust being of fibre glass construction and the engines were very economical.. 50-60mpg. Though the engines weren't powerful (I think the Supervan was a 3/30.. 30 denoting 30bhp) they'd show a clean pair of heels to many a larger car in the low gears as they didn't weigh much. Crosswinds could be a problem but hey.. at least you were dry ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

:lol: :lol: Yeah I know :agree:

Just couldn't resist :rofl:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dad tried really hard to teach mum to drive in one of the plastic pigs but she never got the hang of slowing down for a turn. Co-ordination was never one of her strong points. On one early occasion, we took her up to Fradley.. an old WWII airfield with a lot of runway still available. She managed to come off the runway and into the corn growing alongside. My dad swore blind he was still pulling field mice out of the engine bay for weeks after :lol: On another occasion, she met another vehicle on top of a hump back bridge and panicked.. stopping right on top of the brow. When we got going again, dad said to pull over (I guess so that he could take over) and he opened the passenger door to find scuffing on the outside door handle button. Not wanting to hit the car on the bridge, she forgot about hitting the LH side of the car :lol: Bless her.. there were many things mom could do and many she did well. However, she was never cut out to be a driver. I'll lob her picture up when I can find one ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

MALTBY D
The Gurus

Post by MALTBY D »

Sad to hear about your old folks Dave.
Must be some consolation that they made ripe old age together and weren't apart long.

I've been having a look through my badly copied old family slides (not got them all yet) to find a few to share.
It's only just dawned on me how few there are of my Dad when us kids were small, obviously always behind the camera!

Mum feeding me in the old Morris Oxford about 1969. Dad always had a Morris - Minor, Oxford, 1800 (what a lovely motor!).

This must be about 1972 (same as next one). Colour slides, but still black & white telly.

One of me & big sis Lynn and a good friend of Dave B's.
This was an open day round the back of Ringway in the cargo sheds. Can't remember anything about it other than this scary beasty.
Quite a surprise to see it was EP.

On 'my rock' at Aberdaron beach, taken by Mum so there's Dad.
One of many happy family holidays with Gran & Grandad Gregory, who to me was the funniest man in the world.
Lynn, being attacked by a fly, has a big 'I heart Donny' badge on! :lol:

Playing outside our house. The aeroplanes used to fly behind the roof of the houses in front on final to Runway 24.
That Chubby Car put in some service.

Poor Mum only made it to 47. Poor Dad's now nealy 78 and mad with Althzeimers.
Scary to think I'm getting to the age where Mom got off - and I still know jack sh1t !
I used to think they knew everything. (Maybe Mum does now)

DM
ImageImage