All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by Tarasdad »

This photo was taken sometime in the late 1970s. I'm the one on the far left. The others in the photo are my mother and father, my brother and my paternal grandmother. All now reside with our Heavenly Father. My dad was the last, passing away not quite 3 years ago now.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I love the look on your gran's face Barry :lol: Tks for posting ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: All our yesterdays...Bikers' Delight

Post by Airspeed »

Here's one for the bikers, a bit of UK/Australian history. My recently-deceased brother in law's Villiers powered Wolf on a camping trip, late 1940s

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hen's teeth Mike.. I had to stare hard to see the bike under all the luggage :lol:

Thanks for posting. I've a few more I'd like to add but for reasons unknown, I can't get into my webspace here. Well.. I can get into it to delete stuff but it's not letting me upload :dunno: I'll keep trying in the hope I'm successful on one occasion :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Can anyone remember adding Andrews Liver Salts to a glass of orange squash because their parents were too cheap to buy a bottle of Tango or Corona ?

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Paul K wrote:Can anyone remember adding Andrews Liver Salts to a glass of orange squash because their parents were too cheap to buy a bottle of Tango or Corona ?
LOL...Oh yes, I did that too!

Then you wondered why you had the sh!ts the next day. :agree: :lol:

I also remember sitting on the kerb in the street watching the world go by with a paper bag of sugar in one hand and a stick of rhubarb fresh from the garden in the other.

Come to think of it the second line above would apply in this case too! :doh:

Thinking of old childhood pastimes did anyone else make 'Winter Warmers' which were very popular with kids in our street for a number of years. Basically you took an old tin can and punched holes in the side then attached a wire coat hanger handle in a loop to the top. You would fill it with pieces of corrugated cardboard which was lit and then the flames were blown out so that it just smouldered. That would keep you warm for quite a while in the dark winter evenings while playing hide and seek in the streets. If the cardboard looked like it was going out you would swing the can around by the handle in big circles until the extra airflow caused the cardboard to re-ignite.

Happy days. :)
Larry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Tako_Kichi wrote: Then you wondered why you had the sh!ts the next day. :agree: :lol:

:lol: I don't remember suffering from that, but I do wonder why my mother considered 'fizzy' drinks a bit too exotic for honest working folk, and had me make do with orange squash diluted with warm tap water. 8)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

We used to have the 'Pop man' come round once a fortnight if I remember right. My dad found the bottles handy for home brewed beer :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Paul K wrote:
Tako_Kichi wrote: Then you wondered why you had the sh!ts the next day. :agree: :lol:

:lol: I don't remember suffering from that, but I do wonder why my mother considered 'fizzy' drinks a bit too exotic for honest working folk, and had me make do with orange squash diluted with warm tap water. 8)
Andrews Liver Salts were a mild laxative as well as doing all the other things they were known for. My mother always used to refer to Andrews as 'opening medicine'.

As for drinks made with warm tap water, yes I remember those too. We didn't get a fridge until I was about 10 or 11 years old. Things that needed to be kept cool were stored on a stone slab built into the brick 'pantry'.
Larry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

All we ever had was Jaffa Crush...cheap, nasty and served well watered down :(
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."