All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by Airspeed »

The poor dear must have been struggling; did you see the open seam on her practice costume? :-O

Thanks for sharing, Elvis. I'd never heard of her until today, but how cool to have such an ancestor. ;)

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Elvis Presley wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 20:19
I need cheering up. Maybe you do to. So, I give you my great aunt...

Great photos and nice family history. The photographer captured a very engaging smile.

But please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is is a 'Posing Act'?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

Quick hide your childrens eyes...a posing act involves getting your gear off, but not moving. Like a real life (naked) statue, basically, the curtain would go up and the performer would stay still on a platform that would revolve on the stage. All in the best possible taste of course. The girls were not allowed to move because of censorship rules (silly to us, but this was the 1940's and 50's), or else that would have got the theatre raided by the police pdq. She could move of course lol, but just not not on the stage, to prove it (really? lol) here she is running round the garden in a towel, in something from British Pathe :-)
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/meet-phyllis-dixey
I only found out a few years ago that I had a relative who was the British "Queen of Striptease". Families and their secrets are so very weird are they not? Personally, I was dead chuffed. Very super dead chuffed even.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Here's a strange thing. Somewhere upstairs in the loft, I have a vinyl L.P. called 'In a Gadda Da Vida' by Iron Butterfly. At least I think I still have, as I haven't had cause to dig it out since I was 15 years old. Never heard a bit about it since then - up until the last 24 hours, when I heard it played twice. One was last night on Steam as the background music to a Vietnam FPS game promo vid, and then this evening Mark Riley briefly played it on BBC 6 Music. All these 45 years, nothing, and then I hear it twice in 24 hours.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

We used to listen to that, back in the days when speakers had to be the size of refrigerators.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Yes, I still have Iron Butterfly on vinyl. I'll have to give it a spin to revisit my youth.

Nigel²

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

This won't mean a lot to most but it is yet another aspect of my child hood that has been consigned to history.
https://www.facebook.com/aalejandra.ale ... 0820961612

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

I remember the Underground station of the same name, but I see that this statue wasn't erected until March 1965.
I was long gone by then. :hello:

DogTailRed2
Concorde
Concorde

Post by DogTailRed2 »

Airspeed wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 11:44
I remember the Underground station of the same name, but I see that this statue wasn't erected until March 1965.
I was long gone by then. :hello:
I was born in 67. I guess 65 was when the Shopping Centre was built (on bomb damage iirc). Was never a total success nor was the road layout. I left London 15 years ago and haven't been back much since. I hear the road layout is now worse.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I lived just round the corner for a few years in the seventies and eighties. Used to try to avoid it then. Left the sarf in 85 and don't regret it at all.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman