All our yesterdays...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: All our yesterdays...

Post by Tako_Kichi »

DaveB wrote: Image
This was, I think, either a Supervan II or Supervan III. It had a new all aluminium engine with a 4 speed box (something lacking in the old side-valve 3 gear 3/25) and had a fibreglass floor to replace the wooden effort in the saloon :-O
OOOOH! I had one almost identical to that but maybe a slightly different shade (more chicken sh!t brown). My GF of the time (future 1st wife) named it 'Boris the Tub'! :lol:
Larry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Smashin' David and what a turn up to see old EP wearing proper colours :thumbsup:

Didn't realise you 'suffered' a big sister too :lol: Mine is 7 years older (1950 vintage) so I was always beaten up :( She was always the clever one (she took after Dad) where academically, I took after Mom 8) That said, when I joined the Navy.. she thought ships stopped at night which made me feel a whole bunch better :lol:

Larry.. yes, I have to agree that Reliant didn't have what might be called an extensive choice of colours :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Sorry to hear about your parents Dave.

I'm too young to have anything to contribute to this thread but the old photos are fascinating. The first thing I noticed were the Crittall windows in the house in your first photo with the dog (and yes, he qualifies as a large dog in my book!). Also, the old cars and planes - interesting to see them in "new" condition. There were still a few automotive "relics" of the 60s and 70s around during my childhood. I remeber there was a green Wolseley Princess at the bottom of my road (where my parents still live) in the late 80s. I went for a drive in a Leyland version the week before last and was told that only 134 survive today and the Wolseley version is the rarest of all!

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Toby..

I remember the Princess well.. my uncle had one :) I don't think he remembers it with much fondness though. While it wasn't a sports car, it's performance was on par for the day and it was very roomy. My uncles was an Austin.. not a Wolseley. Not sure if there was any price premium to pay for the Wolseley name (I'd presume so) but the group phased the name out.. Morris might have gone at the same time. Wonder if the Princess was the last of the Wolseley marque? *-)

DM.. sri, I forgot to say earlier how sorry I am to hear of your dad's condition. I have experience of it and can understand what you're going through :(

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Hi Dave,

Yes the Princess was the last Wolseley. It was introduced under all three names and then after a year or less it was just called a "Princess" with the Leyland 'plughole' badge. The Morris name stayed on the Ital and the Austin name was revived for the Ambassador update, but Wolseley and its illuminated badge disappeared there and then. Funny you should say it was "on par for the day" - we overtook two new BMWs in it (1700cc 4 speed version) the other week, I was amazed!

Speaking of reminiscing, I am currently reading "146 in Europe" by Leo Marriott published in 1987. I can now read about my uncle's job from back then. He too was a 146 pilot for Dan Air, although he's not mentioned in the book. Problem is at my age, some of my older colleagues at work talk about 1987 as if it were yesterday!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Dave,

So sorry to hear of your sad loss, losing both parents within such a short period of time is terrible, just hope the memories will bring some comfort to you.

I lost my father when I was 34 and came as a big shock, my mother, bless her is now in a home. Went to see her in Wales last Sunday for the day taking Babs with me but she now longer knows I am her son, has dementia, she is now 88 years old.

Only wish I still had internet as I would also show them in their younger days of when both served in the RAF during the war but will bore you with the details instead!! :lol:

My mother initially worked on plotting German Aircraft coming over on raids during the war then went on to be one of the first 50 dental hygenists to be trained in the RAF as a Sergeant. My Father was a Link Training Instructor (the predecessor to the Flight Simulator). He applied to become a pilot but failed the medical which cleared up after a while but then applied for the position of Link Trainer Instructor. Although they stipulated that applicants should have previous flying experience (PPL)etc. he didn't, but waffled his way through and was accepted.

Still have the photos although they are quite worn.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

MALTBY D wrote:On 'my rock' at Aberdaron beach, taken by Mum so there's Dad.
:-O

There's an uncanny resemblance Mr M ;)

Derek
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Tako_Kichi wrote: OOOOH! I had one almost identical to that but maybe a slightly different shade (more chicken sh!t brown). My GF of the time (future 1st wife) named it 'Boris the Tub'! :lol:
Did it have white on the top like chicken shit too?

:hide:

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

airboatr wrote:Did it have white on the top like chicken shit too?
Only when it snowed! :doh: :lol:
Larry

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Continuing the 'All our yesterdays' theme.. here's a set I sent to mom and dad during another lifetime in the RN. They're not particularly good but they're all I have.. my ex-wife binned all my phots! :rant:

They were all taken in '74 when I was on HMS Blake's Far East deployment. The Suez was still closed which meant a long run down the west coast of Africa. Can't find any shots of South Africa which is a shame :( Anyway.. here you go ;)

These 2 shots taken in the South China seas where we conveniently ran into the back of a typhoon :-O

Anyone recognise this place?

This was one of a number of VIP flights we had from USS Constellation. We met up with the Connie group in the Indian Ocean (before the other shots were taken). I took this off the hangar roof! :)

Also taken off the hangar roof, this time one of our 4 Sea Kings..

Ah.. I can still smell the sea air ;) About to take fuel off RFA Olna..
HMS Diomede was lined up on the other side giving both us and Dimwede fuel at the same time ;)

Again.. a bit out of sequence, a shot of the pool at the Nyali Beech Hotel in Mombasa.

Surprising what crap phots you can take with a crap camera :lol: While with the Constellation group, they put on a very impressive air show for us which included live firings!

And finally.. this shot of HMS Chichester, Hong Kong guardship, who'd joined us in the South China sea. We thought it was hilarious watching her disappear but unbeknown to us, they were watching us doing the same! :-O

That's it for now ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage