One jonesey might like...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: One jonesey might like...

Post by jonesey2k »

If you need an "SUV" then there is only one choice... the old model LandRover Discovery with a 5.0l V8 in it....
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes.. and a sack load of cash to keep it on the road. A mate has a V8 Disco and he rarely passes a petrol station without shopping. Why the hell he didn't go for a diesel I'll never know! Thinking about it.. it might be a V6 petrol. I don't know much about it other than it keeps going wrong and costs him a fortune in petrol :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

paulsl wrote:Sorry to bump but I thought one of the enthusiasts would already have found the Car of the Year:

In a pathetic little banana republic far far away...

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/car-of-t ... 1ns6h.html

;) Paul
Ah yes, the Skoda Yeti. Clarkson of all people seemed taken by it. Did a nice piece on it. Too bad I've not seen any Skoda dealers here in the States, would be interested in looking at it for a replacement of my Blazer as it seems to be of a similar size.

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Btw Dave, you might be interested to know that I'm really properly considering buying a brand new MV Agusta Brutale 675. I know you like triples...
It was love at first sight... what a machine! I'm also lusting after the new F3 but that is quite a bit more expensive...

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes mate.. the Triumph will have some serious competition from the Brutale ;) To be honest, the 675 engine (Triumph I'm talking about) is a very sweet bit of engineering but I miss the brute grunt of the 955i. The 955i had much of the power of an inline 4 with the smoothness and torque of an italian v-twin. Acceleration isn't/wasn't as 'immediate' as say my ZX9R but the gears were longer than the A5! The first time I rode it I thought bugger.. this is slow then looked down to see 85 on the clock. By comparison, the 675 is razor sharp in every sense of the word and better on fuel while it's doing it! See a bend.. point your knee at it and off it goes without a thought. See a bend on the 955i and you'd spend a minute or so wondering how the hell you were going to get round it (the 955i was NOT a quick handler due to it's comparatively high CoG) :lol:

One for the sound thread.. nothing makes the same sound as a triple 'on song' but I admit I'd be embarrassed if my little Skoda sounded like the 955i with carbon race can :lol: I wouldn't mind it sounding like the 675 though ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Heh, if we're talking about music, I once heard an old CBX-1000. Such a glorious wail as it disappeared up the road still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it...

What I'd give to own one... :(

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

One passes here regularly mate.. in summer that is.. a big old Kwak 1300-6 too :-O With standard pipes on (as both these have) you can hardly hear them to be honest. Engine noise from the Honda yes but not a great deal coming from the pipes. I occasionally see a Benelli Sei too.. not that these were ever particularly quick but they had 2 more cylinders than anything other than the Honda and Kwak and were never common (neither were the Honda or Kwak for that matter) :lol:
A couple of lads come past on immaculate Suzi 750 kettles.. these sound a treat too :tunes: Still.. I'd put the 955i Daytona with factory race can among these. NOTHING has ever brought a smile to my face in the same way ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

jonesey2k wrote:Heh, if we're talking about music, I once heard an old CBX-1000. Such a glorious wail as it disappeared up the road still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up just thinking about it...

What I'd give to own one... :(
You might think us oldies don't know nuffink but I've ridden one of these on several occasions, young Jonesey! I had a mate with one when I had a GS750 Suzuki. He liked to ride fast, so in a straight line there was no contest but while he was desperately trying to contain the wallowing round the corners I'd nip through on the inside. The reason I got to ride his so often was that he got fed up with only having fun on straight roads and kept commandeering my Suzuki. A lowside was a pretty expensive trick on them and I doubt anybody bothered to repair one!

The best sound ever? You're on the right lines but it was Mike Hailwood's 297cc Honda six. The best racing engine I've heard in 65 years.

Ian :)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

That really IS a phenominal sound isn't it Ian. Two triples in close proximity :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage