One jonesey might like...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: One jonesey might like...

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Peugeot have done it to me twice mate. Back when I had a 309GRi, the dealer knew I wanted a 405 and come service time, I got a 405 courtesy car. I ended up buying one! Later, when the 406 came out.. the same happened again. The swines gave me a 406 courtesy car which I ended up buying. I got my own back though.. it was the last car I bought and I still have it some 12 years later :lol: Sadly, the same won't happen with the vRS.. theres a small matter of £17k I don't have ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

£17 would get you an MV Agusta F4RR...
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. £17k would :lol: Much as I'd love an MV, I'm happy with the Daytona. Daytona for summer/dry weather.. vRS for winter or rain.. an ideal combination ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Funny you should mention that Dave.

I’ve owned a Skoda for the last 3 years now. This is my ride, an Octavia vRS. 2.0 Turbo 211PS. Had the wheels professionally powder coated from new.

Its one of the nicest and most refined cars to drive and has a really decent spec. I'm now on my second car having part ex'd my older vRS for this one. :)

People say its just a VW with a different badge or a poor mans Audi.

I disagree completely...Its not a VW with a different badge. Its far superior.

Furthermore, its actually on a par, if not better, than an equivalent Audi. I know because I’ve driven most of the VAG Group vehicles many times.

Pop the bonnet on modern Skodas and you’ll be greeted by a plethora of VW/Audi logos. :thumbsup:

The Octavia shares the same platform, engine and mechanics as the new Golf GTi, which like you say, is significantly more expensive.

There are still a handful of people who dwell on ths Skoda’s of the 1970/80’s and can’t see past the badge.

This really makes me smile. :rofl:

Skoda group continue to grow from strength to strength. The waiting list for new cars has never been longer as their popularity and reputation is at an all time high. Most of the fancy cars mags have awarded Skoda, best in class in a number of areas such as; best value, performer, quality, build and specification.

Glad you liked the little vRS mate. They certainly put a smile on your face. :excited:

Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Eddie.. much as it pains me to say it.. especially as it's one of the 7 deadly sins, I'm envious mate ;) Having had a mere 30miles in the baby version, I was completely and most thoroughly impressed with every aspect of the car. I've read that some prefer the looks of the older model, some prefer it with the black roof (which can be specified), some prefer it without, some criticise the interior for being drab.. none of which I agree with. The model I had wasn't full spec, it was standard as far as I could see and it had everything I'd want and no more.

The important thing with this sort of car is smiling while you're looking out of the windscreen at the road rushing by.. nothing else. Everything should be where you'd expect it to be and it is. The transmission is so incredibly smooth, I think I felt 3 changes over the miles I did. The only sure way to tell you've changed gear is to watch the rev counter or note the gear indicator on the main panel.. such is it's seemless operation (much slicker than any other automatic I've either driven or been in). I thought a 7 speed box might be excessive but as I direct comparison, I noted this morning what gear I was in on a particular roundabout with like for like traffic and in the 1.4 manual, I was in an uncomfortable (but reasonable) 2nd. In the little vRS, I was in 3rd about to go to 4th using D. The transition from supercharger to turbo is equally seemless.. all you get is a more progressive push in the back! I can imagine the Octavia vRS is rather more frantic :lol:

All in all, you would not know the engine in the Fabia vRS was only 1400cc. I certainly didn't when I checked the specs online. I'd imagine the Octavia 2.0 litre is more akin to a 3 litre as far as performance goes.. the Fabia 1.4 is definitely superior to my 2.0 litre petrol 406 in every way except physical size and internal capacity. There'd be no room for the 406's 70ltr tank for one but.. the Fabia vRS doesn't need it.. it's more economical than my 8-valve normally aspirated one and by some margin :-O

The car I had was the demonstrator and had a little over 2k on the clock. I had to get it back by 0820 this morning as it was booked out for 0830! If I ever have it serviced at Skoda again, I'll see if I can wangle an Octavia vRS courtesy car :lol: As a by the by.. we were in the kitchen downstairs yesterday lunchtime and heard sirens approaching fast. We're used to blues and two's off ambulances but this was different so we stopped and looked out of the window. In short order, a plain clothes Octavia vRS came round the corner followed by a plain clothes Audi.. both showing red/blues and going like stink toward Reading :-O I'll not be picking a scrap with either on the bike :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi Dave,

Yes the Octavia vRS can certainly hold its own. Its got plenty of punch right through the range.

I have the petrol version which performs well from the outset whereas the diesel (2.0 170BHP) has plenty of high end torque.

Your local plod aint the only investors in the Skoda performance motors.

Many Police forces are using them for their reliability and performance which is matched to lower running costs and purchase price compared to something similar such as a BMW 330.

The factory 0-62 is 7.2 for the petrol Octavia vRS. Not as fast as others in the marketplace but certainly able (in the right hands!) to keep up with the big boys. :wasntme:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Fabia vRS 0-62 is 7.3 which puts it into perspective with it's big brother. Of course, you can only flog 1400cc so far before it runs out of steam and a 140mph top end is more than respectable. I'll bet you've not given your Octavia 'it's head' have you.. no, of course not.. you'll be rather more responsible than that, unless it's on a track of course ;)

Damn it.. I need a lottery win now AND FAST :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

VEGAS wrote:
Many Police forces are using them for their reliability and performance which is matched to lower running costs and purchase price compared to something similar such as a BMW 330.
We've had massive reliability problems with ours, to the point that I don't think they'll be around much longer.

Dog Section were delivered 8 on '09 plates, there's 3 left (I admit half have gone through crashes...)

The higher tuned and smaller capacity 4 cyl engine isn't anywhere as strong as the more relaxed but higher capacity 5 cyl Volvo engine is what we all reckon. Especially when thrashed daily from cold as they are. Although the brand new diesel D5 Volvo's are all going pop too but that's a different story!

That said, I'd have one as a personal car in an instant. Mates I know who have them, and let them warm up properly before having a play, haven't got a bad word to say about them.

The Octavia vRS is most definitely on the list for when my Focus ST is gotten rid off, which at 21mpg average isn't going to be long away!!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

My second 620 Ti, picked up in London Last year, 2.0 petrol turbo, 0 - 60, 6.7; top end 146 mph; 30 - 32 mpg in town 40 on the motorway and i just love it. Just hit 72000 on a T plate :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

My mate had a Rover 620Ti. Had it tuned, dunno what but f*** me it was quick! Absolutely nothing had been done to the outside, if you looked close you could see the bigger brakes and uprated shocks ect but for all intents and purposes it looked like a grandadmobile. He sold it and is now doing up an 800 Vitesse Coupe.
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.