Tales from the RAF

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Canberra Man
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Tales from the RAF

Post by Canberra Man »

We are on detachment at RAF Butterworth in Malaya and the Canberra's have been dropping 1,000 pounders on the terrs, they don't like ikt up 'em! The aircraft have landed and are rounding the peri track. I pick mine out and turn him into the pan, signal to stop and open bomb doors with an armourer standing by in case of a hang up. No hang up, worse! as the bomb doors open, a thousand pounder pushes through the gap and crunches onto the tarmac and sits there glaring at us. We didn't know wether to lie down or run! Then we realised it hadn't fallen far enough to arm. The aircrew must wondered what the ground crew were doing standing counting their worry beads. Ah well, fun over for the day.

Ken

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Tales from the RAF

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

Nice story Ken.. I'm sure you have more :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

It's never a good feeling when you see people legging it away from ones self... :thumbsup:
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How true ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Reminds me of the time Elfin Safety came to inspect a chemical works that I was working on. The main ethylene ( highly whizz bangable stuff ) processing plant had hydrocarbon sniffers round the boundary to detect inflamables before said whizz bang incident could happen.

Female Elfin on tour of site asks one of our senior (ex-merchant marine) engineers what the little sensors were for. Getting bored with the day he told her that they were sensors which would go off if hydrocarbons were detected in the atmosphere.

"And what steps would you take if one went off as you passed it?", she sniffily inquired.

"Effin big ones", came the reply.