Housing benefit capping.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Housing benefit capping.

Post by 511Flyer »

I watched the news on TV yesterday, and there was an interview with a european immigrant gentleman who had brought his wife and many children to our nice benevolent country in search of a better life.

Sadly, he can't find any work. So he has to claim jobseekers allowance. Family allowance. Plus God knows how many other allowances. How hard that must be for him. He struggles along in a five bedroomed house, admittedly fitted with every modern appliance known to man. Plus a few others unknown to me.

As if his plight isn't bad enough, it's going to get a lot worse. This Conservative Government has decided that too much money is being paid in housing benefits to these poor unfortunates, and many others like them. Shock horror! How could they?

Westminster Council will no longer pay the paltry sum of £2,000 a week for his rent, and he will no longer be able to live in central London. He will no longer be able to support his family in the way to which they have become accustomed. They will have to lower their standard of living to that of the average British family who work and pay taxes. How demeaning for them.

I have to stop typing. I can't see the screen through my tears.

:((

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Housing benefit capping.

Post by DaveB »

Thank goodness you stopped when you did Dennis.. tears were dripping into my keyboard matching the rain currently finding it's way through my roof :'(

It's a sad tale and I thank you for highlighting it!

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Harry Basset
Victor
Victor

Post by Harry Basset »

After reading about this sad case I feel rather selfish to have taken my Winter Fuel Allowance and am having second thoughts about the State Pension increase mooted for this year. Still I will grab what I can before Cameron sends it overseas to countries with nuclear weapons and space programmes.

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

I now feel guilty at taking my state pension After all I only worked for 48 years paying tax and national insurance so how selfish is that?.Come to think of it I am still a taxpayer ! :rant: :rant: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

jonesey2k
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by jonesey2k »

Bring back Mrs T! She'd sort this all out!
Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12 gauge.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

jonesey2k wrote:Bring back Mrs T! She'd sort this all out!
And that, ladies and Gentlemen, from a scouser! ;)

Joking aside, the country isn't in a good place when a benefits system which is designed to help the most needy in our society, is keeping some of those in a lifestyle that discourages working for a living. My now mother in law is one such case IMHO, and she is as English as you can get.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DelP
The Gurus

Post by DelP »

My workmate and friend was brought up under Soviet occupation.

At school he had to learn to speak Russian, his brothers and sisters took it in turns to hold the place in the shop queue for bread or whatever was available....which wasn't much as anything produced was taken back to the Soviet Union.

He told me that troop trains would pass by and the Red Army soldiers would put their weapons out of the train windows and go through the motions of shooting at people.

He stood for hours for a loaf of bread..only to find the shop was empty.

We haven't the faintest idea what it's like to be occupied.

Where would you rather be?
'My Auntie Mabel told me I'd make a great soldier, though I don't know how 30 years working in a biscuit factory had qualified her to make that judgement.....' Eddie Nugent

Airborne Signals