Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by DaveB »

Hi Ben..

Here are a couple of shots I took a few weeks ago of the 'Hangar' before the arrival of the ASW28...

They both highlight the relative size differences between the Champ and 2 jumps up the scale. After the Champ comes Ultra Micro which covers a multitude of sins. They're bigger than the Champ in every way but not by a great deal. The step above Ultra Micro include the Wildcat, Super Cub and P51D you see here. To give an example of actual size.. the Champ has a wingspan of 22.4in and weighs 38gm as already mentioned. The Super Cub behind it has a wingspan of 47in and weighs some 920gm. I think the battery for the Cub/Cat/P51 weighs a lot more than the Champ :lol: Each float for the Super Cub is the same size as the Champ's fuse :lol:

Techy has an 'inbetweenie' Cub which he's keen to get rid of. Not sure what state it's in or what radio gear it comes with but it would be another ideal choice for a beginner. He offered it to me but I didn't take him up on the offer as I already have the Champ and the much bigger Super Cub. I believe the Cub he has falls in between the 2 ;) Might be worth giving him a shout.. especially if it comes RTF. All you need to do is pursuade him to go to the Post Office. Good luck with that! :worried: :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi guys,

just finally got some time to myself after a particularly unpleasant set of night shifts.

Hence me being off the radar for a few days. Its over now thankfully and got a nice couple of days off planned.

Even though the weather for round these parts looks dreadful. :rant: :rant:

Dave, the HobbyKing looks beautiful mate. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I really like the look of that. Has a top quality look to it. And also looks like a very serious flyer. :rock:

Its an eye opener when you go onto something like this isn't it?

Whole new ball game. But a nice ball game. :agree:

If your anything like me. And I know you are, you'll have to be in a certain kind of mood to fly it. :)

Some days you'll want the speed flights and some days you'll want the slow, chilled flights.

Just need to stick a tx on the shopping list now as your hanger is getting full. :wasntme:

Keep scanning the web for a second hand one mate.

As with most second hand electric stuff, its more often than not, in good order and very little goes wrong.

I would say the only thing your missing now is a fast micro.

You know, something to keep your nerves on the edge. :lol: :lol:

Maybe a little Mig or Stryker when funds allow. *-)

Keep me posted on the progress of the HobbyKing matey.

PS get yourself an 808 key fob camera for the big girl mate. Best thing I ever did :excited:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yo Eddie :hello:

I was beginning to wonder if you'd gone on holiday. Should've realised it would be work.. nights especially :(

Thanks for listing your camera mate. When you next came up, that's the first question I was going to ask :lol: The SCub would make an ideal platform for one. Seen one velcroed onto the tailplane of an ASW too though it'd take some fiddling with the CoG. Mine wouldn't be an ideal candidate for 'power on' mind you. On 3 of the 4 first flights, she came down nose first resulting in a slightly bent prop shaft :| Now I know where the CoG is, how it flies AND have changed the batteries in the txer.. my landings are pitter-patter skidders ;) I need to make the wind undersides more distinct.. it's surprisingly difficult to be certain of orientation :-O

I'm looking at getting a Bixler next.. very similar to the EZ Hawk/Hawk Sky but a lot cheaper. Looking on the web, they make great camera platforms too. Put it to SWMBO in passing yesterday and she said 'you can't have another one' :-O We'll see :lol: They're quite fast (69mph) but can also be docile. They glide too which is cool.. a half-way house between the ASW and the warbirds :)

When Tony get's his act together.. I'll have the PKZ UM P51. They're a bit nervous in wind but fully aerobatic. Darned fast too :-O

Would love a little EDF like the MiG.. maybe next year ;) Once I get the DX6i.. I'll have to start topping up with rxers. I need 4 already :lol: A tradeoff of being cheap.. it comes back to bite you eventually :lol: I'll try and pick up a DX6i with AR6100.. that'll mean I only need another 3 and those I'll pick up off ebay. Secondhand AR600's go for around £25 and many are unused ;)

What have you got me into Mr Vegas! :lol:

Hope you get some good flying time in soon :thumbsup:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Nice Hangar Dave, that Cub looks about the size of my Cessna. I must get round to flying that one day...
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Dave,

Forgot to mention about those 808 cameras.

Even thought they all appear the same, there are various versions.

Some are good. Some are utter crap. :agree:

For nice quality footage from your planes you need a 808 camera #11.

Usually about £20 delivered for the HD one.

The one I ordered was a uk supplier on eBay. Came with all leads and even a couple of Velcro pads. ;)

Had the latest firmware installed which removes the incorrect day/date on the playback. :thumbsup:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

No.11 it is Eddie.. thanks a lot mate :thumbsup:

TM.. yup, the SCub is similar in size to the 500 Cessna (47" wings Cessna 51.2") and not quite as heavy (920gm - Cessna 1170gm) :) Oh.. btw, the Cessna does have a float kit too..
http://www.centuryuk.com/Spares/Aeropla ... na-182-500 :worried:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hope you guys are getting some air time in :)

I'm still unsure how long I can get with the ASW. One thing is for certain.. 5mins of full throttle (mostly full throttle) is all the battery can take. I've been setting my timer for 6mins recently (dare devil!!!) and the batteries have been charged in around 27mins. Pit that against full throttle and they take between 39 and 42mins to charge. Just had the Champ up on my one and only working battery and got 16mins out of it :lol:

Eddie/Dale.. do your txers give an indication of battery power. This guesswork lark is doing my head in :wall:

Bixler dispatched today so should be here on Wed with any luck. Then.. all I have to do is solder the motor wires to the ESC and battery connectors to t'other end. There's a lot to be said for NOT going cheap :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Good flights with the chipmunk this morning 5 or 6 flights then decided to practice touch and gos After 5 or so decided to land proper and about 2 ft from touchdown the port wheel came off Too late to do much, commited to land but tried to hold the port wing up a bit on ailerons but the leg dug in and the landing was rather abrupt no damage luckily the legs go into the wing but are quite strongly mounted The wheel and axle had come detached from the sprung leg, the grub screw comming loose No small allen keys with me so home to resecure
Dave the spectrum system supports telemetry which with the appropriate receiver can display battery voltage on the transmitter screen ( among various other imformation Height gps speed etc ) and give an alarm at a preset value. Another good reason for going down that route Futaba have launched telemetry on there top of the range trannies. My 8 fg trannie is supposedly "telemetry ready " just awaiting a software update to impliment it
Cheers
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Dale :hello:

Rgr and thks for that ;)

Damn shame about the Chippie but fortunate to get away with it. Just how many tools do you need to take out!!

Weather not looking too bad here for the remainder of the week. Pity the kids don't go back to school until Thur/Fri. It'll honk down next week :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi Dave, :hello:

Not sure about the DX6 in relation to battery power. It only shows my battery levels in the Tx itself.

Everything else is guess work. :((

I think maybe the battery output meters are on the higher spec transmitters. *-)

Been camping last week for a couple of nights.

Took the Mig and the Wildcat. Had great fun with the Mig and did several flights over the campsite.

It certainly got people gawping in amazement (or confusion!) when it screamed overhead.

My wife heard a bloke say to his wife "ere..Have you seen this luv?!" :lol: :lol:

I did crash the Mig when the battery came out mid flight and left itself dangling by the wire.

C of G went mental which caused a rather spectacular cartwheel crash. :dunno:

That'll teach me to secure the battery properly. Another thing added to the PFC. :doh:

I'm off down to Newquay next week with the family, so if I can fit the Radian in the car, I'll do some video of the coast. ;)

It transports nicely as the wings slide out and its just a long narrow tube. :)

Have fun mate. B-)