Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by TSR2 »

Well Dave, I have to say I prefer the "beaten" look. Looks much more realistic, like its just been back from the battle damage repair shop :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hello Mate :hello:

Yeah.. there's something to be said for it looking 'worn' and battle scared. I quite like it too :) Pity about the 'real' damage though :lol:

As you well know, having carried all the bits back last time, I thought that was it.. one crash too many but this is the beauty of foamies.. in particular the Parkzone foamies but the others too. You really, really have to do something terribly drastic to stop them flying again ;)

I'll bet you haven't given getting yourself a park flyer much thought with the move n' all but keep it in mind :) You don't have to go for anything quite as mundane as the Champ for your first model. While even the Champ seemed unnervingly fast when I first got it (fast to crash anyway :lol: ) there are bigger models out there which you'll get rather more mileage out of and some DO go like sh1t off a shovel as well as flying slow.. the Parkzone UM series (UltraMicro) spring to mind. Whenever you're ready.. just shout ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

VEGAS
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by VEGAS »

Hi Dave,

Been out of the loop for a few days.

Thats bad news about the P-51. Whats the script now then?

Is it flying again? These things have a habit of coming back for more.

Nothing worse than having a crash and not been able to root out the issue.

Sounds like possibly a tx/rx blip maybe? *-)

Those control surfaces are very strong and Parkzone make half decent connectors so hopefully it should'nt be that.

Frustrating hobby at times.. :wall:
Image I suffer from paranoid amnesia. I can't remember who I don't trust.Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Eddie :hello:

Well mate.. the Mustang is back together and awaiting her next flight :rock: Still nothing firm on what happened on the last flight. I've sat here with the battery connected, waggling the ailerons and elevator for all they're worth and they continue to work fine. No sign of locking. I've had the 27mhz radio in the ASW28 since and it's currently in the SCub.. working fine in both. So, nothing conclusive mate.. just speculation *-)

Had the model attempted to turn right then everything go boobies up, then I'd be inclined to suspect one of the aileron servo's but noting where it crashed, it's flight path didn't deviate.. it just went straight in. Not even in a moment of complete insanity did I push the stick forward instead of moving it right. I have wondered if when I moved the stick right, the model went immediately inverted but not in a thousand years is the response quick enough to do that in the blink of an eye. Dale's CAP may do it but not the Mustang :lol:

Put simply mate.. I still don't know what happened or how it happened so quickly. Makes me a bit nervous of using the 27mhz radio but then again, I've used it in the ASW28, the SCub, the Wildcat AND the Mustang. :dunno: Was about to take it up in the SCub again now but looking out of the window, it's started to rain... pants! :|

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Just a fun HU for an excellent website to bring back memories of younger days:

http://www.houseoffrog.co.uk

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks James :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Dave B

I wonder if any of those plans could be adapted to r/c for indoor flying?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi James :hello:

I don't see why not. It'd be possible for some of the other, larger models to be made electric too :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Went out this morning with 3 charged batteries for the Bixler.. 20mins each battery = an hours flying time :excited: My thumbs were so cold after 2 batteries, I couldn't feel 'em and came home. The first time I've been able to go out with 3 batteries and I could only use 2. Is that irony?? :lol:

New P51D control horn fitted on the Bixlers elevator.. worked a treat and will probably outlive the rest of the model ;)

Lovely morning developing here. Got a few spots of rain as the very tail of a rather nasty cloud blew over but only a modicum of wind and plenty of blue stuff up there (now) :) Hope you guy's get some air time in :thumbsup:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Tarasdad
Comet
Comet

Post by Tarasdad »

Here are a couple of shots from my "hangar" of RC birds:

E-Flite Apprentice 15e Electric Trainer

Carl Goldberg Tiger 60

Great Planes Spirit Glider (sorry for the crappy cell phone photo)

I purchased the Apprentice to reacquaint myself with RC flight after a 15+ year break. It's a great flyer and was a great choice for reacquainting my thumbs with the hobby. The CG Tiger 60 was my first kit build in 20 years or so. As with all of Carl Goldberg's designs it is an excellent flyer and a fairly simple build. In the photo it is powered by my Fox .50 2-cycle engine but that has since been replaced by my Saito .80 4-cycle, both engines I've had since the late '80s, early '90s. The GP Spirit I built from a kit that was given to me along with several other aircraft and engines by a gentleman who was getting out of the RC hobby. I now have eight aircraft either partially built or in need of repair sitting in my garage patiently awaiting my attention. They may be waiting a while because money is pretty tight, and what little hobby money I have is going in a different direction....

Welcome to my model rocket addiction:
ImageImageImageImage

Is it any wonder why my wife thinks I'm nuts?