Flying for Real..

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Flying for Real..

Post by petermcleland »

There were a few nice shots of a Hunter FGA9 or F6 with drop tanks fitted...It was flying well but we never got a close shot of it. All wonderful models though :)

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Would like to try to get to Cosford this year some brill models Liked the formation flying with the vulcan :thumbsup: Think the viper jet is the next size up from mine, possibly the Skymaster 2m
ATb
Dale
Image Image Image

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I read somewhere recently of some chap who was using a 3D printer to build his. The material was just as light weight as the wood, but considerably stronger. It also allowed him to make some assemblies that wouldn't have been possible with wood. :cpu:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

3D printers are probably the best thing ever for model making

However it seems your average 3D machine won't do.

Spending a bit on a commercial quality one is the way forwards

Of course the cheap ones will probably go like paper printers did and stay much the same price while getting very much better and eventually cheaper.

There is also talk of the future being a download to run through you 3D machine.

Sounds a little far fetched right now, but sitting here typing this to a forum would have seemed an impossible idea not that long ago.

As with about every idea mooted invoving technology, it is often just and idea of an impractible reality for most, but, nevertheless a case of maybe not today, but in a couple of years???
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Fellow Fliers :hello:

Been a mighty long time.. some months.. but I finally dragged my butt out with the Bixler today. The batteries haven't been discharged/charged for ages so I was more than a little mindful I may run out of juice before the timer (which I can't hear anyway) went off :lol: As it happens, I got over there with 2 x 1500 Turnigy's.. went to connect them after selecting the Bixler on the DX6i.. and twigged immediately I'd not bought the Deans/XT60 adaptor with me :wall: Back to the house.. grabbed the adaptor and in the air in a couple of mins ;) A lovely day for soaring (something the Bixler does with ease) so I was confident to take the batteries to 10mins+ without fear of them draining. A few aero's and nothing fell off.. now back home with the batteries on charge ;)

I should go out more often really.. I've no excuse other than CBA. We've had some lovely days too. I hope we have a few more :cpu:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Not been flying much myself mate.While the weather has been fine here the wind has been too strong most of the time for enjoyable flying. RW events have been another reason for the lack of stick time. However took the chppy and cap out last sunday morning and had seveal good flights and landings with both aircraft. I still struggle to get my approach correct, still coming in either too fast or slow. The cap is suffering with combinaton of heavy landings and fuel ingress Hope it will last the season out Not maidened the viper,in fact still not took it to the field for taxi runs was hoping to get a bit of practice in first but as previous,not much practice this year
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

The Daily Mail stikes again!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttack.html

Sussed at last :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Had the Bixler and Walrus up for half an hour each today. What a belter :rock:

First time out with the Walrus since it tried to kill itself when the canopy came off and went into the prop breaking one of the blades. No adverse effects I'm pleased to say. I also took the liberty of putting a lazzy band around the fuse and over the canopy to make sure it doesn't try this again! :lol: The ESC was so hot after 30mins, you could barely touch it. Time to call it a day ;)

Also.. got the bike off the back yard and took it for a spin up and down the A5. It was similarly hot when I got back! There's a lot to be said for not having the exhaust routed under the seat.. unless it's in winter :lol: Must put the new tax disc on now being as the old one ran out last month :shhh:

ATB
Dave B)smk
ImageImage

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hiya mate :hello:
Had some flying myself today :) Took the cap out this morning and had a few hours down the strip. Shes still holding together dispite my arrivals :lol:
Gave the Viper its first "maiden" last week Had a couple of taxi runs to check the steering out and if i could keep it straight, long enough to take off Then had a full throttle run She was 2/3 rds down the strip with little intention of lifting gave her some elevator encoragment and we had a lift off, but things were getting tight to the end of the strip and the take off looked sluggish so dropped her back down and stopped just before the crop. Next attempt was no better and by now the battery was dying The edf "should" give 3.1kg thrust but by using the kitchen scale on its side and running the aircrafts nose into it, all i can achieve is 2kg so not sure how to progress. The lipo was only a cheap(£60) hobbyking zippy but i doubt that a £120 version would up the thrust by 1kg :dunno:
Hope to be out tomorrow weather permiting
ATB
Dale
Image Image Image