Another One Bites the Dust!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Another One Bites the Dust!

Post by Tomliner »

Well said Nigel! :agree: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Post by mgchristy »

Ian,
I'm so horribly horribly sorry to hear of your predicament. I haven't been too active here lately and didn't notice your unfortunate turn of events until perusing CBFS today. It sounds as if you're handling the news with courage, aplomb, and quiet dignity. That speaks towards a tremendous strength of character that is sadly lacking in many folks nowadays. May you and your family be blessed each and every day.
Mark

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Post by ChrisHunt »

Ian, both my parents had mobility scooters and used to race each other around Lincoln! Much fun was had by both - sadly my father died in mid August so there's only one menace on the go for now :lol: Note that no pedestrians or animals were hurt in these races! They had no reliability issues whatsoever.

Regards,
Chris

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

ChrisHunt wrote:Ian, both my parents had mobility scooters and used to race each other around Lincoln! Much fun was had by both - sadly my father died in mid August so there's only one menace on the go for now :lol: Note that no pedestrians or animals were hurt in these races! They had no reliability issues whatsoever.

Regards,
Chris
That must have been a sight worth seeing. lol
Alex

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

It's great to know how many people are supporting me through this and letting me know their feelings. I'm well aware that cancer will affect a third of people directly at sometime in their lives so my situation isn't rare. It's not often been talked about in the past although it's more common to do so now. The power of the internet, I suppose.

I'm not an expert on it. I've only read as much as I need to, otherwise, like the rest of you, I'm finding out what happens as i go along. Just a week or so before I tell you! There's not much point in trying to find out more as even the professionals can't predict how any one instance of the disease will affect any one individual. I'm OK with that as I'm not sure that I want to know all the details as I can't do much about it anyway.

So what you see as me taking it all calmly and bravely is simply ignoring the myriad possibilities and just dealing with stuff as it happens.

As for all the stuff about mobility devices and scooters - obviously it's all new to me and I know nothing of Nigel's experiences about scooter rage either from the pedestrian or scooterist point of view. So I'll stay out of that one for a bit! So thank you for all the input about these, they sound as though they could be a source of fun as well as rage! There are so many aspects that I had never considered. If I do need to go that way I'll have to come back for more advice. So far, though, I'm managing the corner shop OK without a stick and can still drive reasonable distances if it's a pain-free day. I try to avoid driving while under the influence of morphine - Although I get from A to B I can't always remember the bit in between. Wheeee!

Ian :)

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

As a matter of interest, Ian, a friend of mine is taking heavy doses of morphine - both tablet or liquid and by patch - on an on demand basis , and it has not affected his ability to drive at all . He does not feel sleepy with it and indeed to look at him and talk to him you would never know. I suppose that every person differs in their response and thus his experience may not be typical, but I hope it will encourage you not to give up driving unless it is absolutely essential to do so

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Talking of mobility scooters they are a good thing. I have just bought my wife one. It has improved her quality of life and made the world a more dangerous place. Avoid Redditch!
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Question re painkilling medicine - I was prescribed morphine patches when I trapped my sciatic nerve a couple of years back that seemed to have little effect, so was sent to A&E over here & after a couple of hours on on a paracetamol drip they prescribed a pill containing Paracetamol, caffeine and Opium powder. Now that worked very well whereas an increase in the morphine patch gave me unwanted side effects without reduction in pain.
Any ideas out there?
Keith

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Hi Keith. I think you're talking about Co-Codamol which is a blend of codeine and paracetamol. Codeine is an opioid originally sourced from opium poppies but now created without. It has the side effects associated with opium such as dependency so is fairly tightly controlled. It works with paracetamol and together they work much better than separately. In small doses they can also be blended with caffeine which reduces the drowsiness of the codeine. I think Solpadene Plus is the trade name of the one with caffeine but you can't buy it off the shelf, you have to ask the pharmacist.

The strength of the tablet is decided by the amount of codeine - the paracetamol amount per tablet is usually 500mg, which is the same as the standard paracetamol tablet. The codeine content can be between 8 and 60mg. In the UK 15mg and above is prescription only. It is shown as, e.g., 15/500 or 30/500.

Co-Codamol is a very strong painkiller for the right sort of pain but it's carefully controlled because of the side effects of the codeine.

Hope this helps

Ian :)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Ian,
Thanks for that explanation. In France its called 'Lamaline' & its spec is 300mg Paracetamol, 10 mg Opium & 30mg cafeine. Max dosage 10 per day; 4 hour intervals.
For me, as I said, it worked wonders & is prescription only here also. Funnily cannot be prescribed initially by ones local GP, has to be prescribed initially by hospital!
I must admit that I thought morphine was just as addictive as opium & heroin.....

I'm just getting to grips with the initial stages of Parkinsons & hoping that the pills that I started yesterday will keep me going for a few years......

Old age is fun - one gets to meet a lot of new people - its just a pity that most are of the medical profession!

I do admire your fortitude & good humour - long may it last.
Keith