Guernsey Civil Aircraft Register

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Guernsey Civil Aircraft Register

Post by Garry Russell »

Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Guernsey Civil Aircraft Register

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Garry, :hello:
Thanks for the link.
Quite a brief report.Watched it twice but didn't entirely follow the purpose.
Surely it's not just to allow personalised registrations?

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

I thought that Mike as they seem to be happy to register aircraft from anywhere in the world and are pushing the bling factor of a 2- (to, too, two) registration letter. If it was just for aircraft based in Guernsey it would be credible.

It does look like a cynical money making exercise with no benefits for air safety or particular benefits for Guernsey based aircraft. 2-MUCH.

Maybe I'm wrong. If so could somebody explain what this is for.

Jon

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

As somebody who thought it sacrilege when period registrations on classic aeroplanes were replaced with commercially connected substitutes, noticed by only a very few ultimately, I surprised myself by not initially seeing a problem here; if owners are daft enough to spend £20m between them let them get on with it.

Conversely, however, I'm amazed that in this age of making general aviation in particular almost impossible in the UK with ludicrous and unnecessary changes to operations to be implemented in 2015, something as obvious as an initial call sign phonetic with three potential meanings in addition to the callsign itself seems a poor choice other than for marketability.

cheers

Fraser

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Completely agree Fraser. Back in 2003 when I was studying towards my PPL, things were beginning to change, but the introduction of the UK PPL requiring less hours to stay current in exchange for some reduced operating conditions gave people a chance. It was always an expensive business, but its become incredibly bureaucratic too and push the opportunity well beyond the reach of most mortals. :|
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Basically they are just trying to cash in of the stuff Cayman and IoM gets.

I think it's stupid. Marks are for identity not play things.

I dispair that some folks have money to waste on such nonesense.

Guernsey intends to make lots of money form this, presumably to make the rich even richer so more of the workingclass will have to leave to make space.
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Viscount Cornbank wrote:
in the UK with ludicrous and unnecessary changes to operations to be implemented in 2015,

Fraser

I am very much out of touch these days . What are the 2015 projected changes ?

Viscount Cornbank
The Gurus

Post by Viscount Cornbank »

EASA, in their wisdom, are changing the way general aviation operates, largely through flying clubs who require an element of instruction to make ends meet. Without going into the full detail, even the smallest club currently operating as what's known as a Registered Training Facility has to apply to become an Approved Training Organisation, and is subject to audit as such. The new legislation treats all facilities as if they were operating on the scale of an organisation like Oxford, requiring five or six management positions (although some posts can be held by the same person), training and operations manuals must be produced, a safety management system devised and implemented, 100 hours of theoretical training given to each student and so on.

Of the 450 plus RTFs currently operating in the UK, I'll be amazed if half of them are still operating after April 2015. As usual, the motto of European legislation is along the lines of "If it's not broken, let's break it"

cheers

Fraser

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers for the info Fraser, it seems incredible, but unsurprising as it is par for the course for almost everything that comes out of Europe :(
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Thank you, Fraser. Depressing , isn't it ? Although it may be that the Nelsonian approach ( or perhaps Wellingtonian ! ) over the IMC rating may work again . In practice , I wonder whether it will be that difficult to comply - when I was an instructor too many years ago, we had to comply with quite a lot of extra requirements to satisfy the RAF for Flying Scholarships, and this was not catastrophic ( although the RAF people were very reasonable in their approach, which helped ) .

PS Mind you , bearing in mind that my son has just found that he cannot renew his licence until he passes an English test , nothing would surprise me from the bunch of w*nkers that constitutes EASA !