Channel4 9pm

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

stegs
Trident
Trident

Channel4 9pm

Post by stegs »

Programme about the non pilot who landed the Cessna last year

Steve

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Channel4 9pm

Post by dodger »

Thanks for the HU Steve i was reading about this, he was very lucky and it was a shame that the pilot he was flying with passed away.

Cheers,

Roger.
Last edited by dodger on 27 Mar 2014, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

gordon-in-aberdeen
Vulcan
Vulcan
Location: Stones' throw from old Montrose Air Station (well, 4 miles anyway:-)

Post by gordon-in-aberdeen »

Saw a trailer for that last weekend, they had him on Radio 4 in the morning last Saturday talking about it too. He came over as a very cool level headed chap, which was probably what saved him and the plane :agree:

Should be worth a watch... :thumbsup:
TTFN, Gordon
"To err is human, but to ARR is most definitely Pirate... "

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

gordon-in-aberdeen wrote:Saw a trailer for that last weekend, they had him on Radio 4 in the morning last Saturday talking about it too. He came over as a very cool level headed chap, which was probably what saved him and the plane :agree:

Should be worth a watch... :thumbsup:
Certainly right there Gordon, i have just watched the program, what a chap!

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Yes - I enjoyed it too.
My wife however was less than complimentary about the performance of the 'instructor'. Despite being told the pilot was a rank beginner with no training whatsoever, he insisted on treating him like a pupil with some knowledge and experience.
She kept asking me ' what does he mean?' like at the critical point on the approach when he gave the cryptic instruction 'flare' - which meant nothing to her. :doh: Yes,I know we know but ...
I explained that perhaps they'd cut some of the r/t chatter for editing purposes. :worried:
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I got the impression that he knew the jargon, especially the radio etiquette, so he would know the key words. I think they also mentioned that he was an ex RAF desk/paperwork chap.
Yes cool hand luke.
Now you try landing a kite in the dark, no cockpit lights & no runway lights.....
Unfortunately I dropped off during the last bit......so never saw the landing, will have to keep an eye open for a repeat.
Keith

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hello Kieth,

Well the last few minutes of the last landing he did was filmed from the Seaking in nite vision and he did a few bumps down the runway and slewed off Port onto the grass and came to a stop,

He did a great job that's for sure and what a terrible end to what seemed an enjoyable day out for the two friends,

Roger.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Roger,
Thanks for the update, I will still lookout for a repeat as I think it was a well produced documentary without all the usual exaggerations of many other programs.
Keith

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I caught 40 minutes of it. Very interesting. A mistake I think to approach the unlit, short runway at first, but sterling efforts from all involved. I last saw the Sea King captain when she and I were UAS students many years ago!

(I too was surprised by the command "Flare", as it would potentially have meant nothing to the non-flying passenger. That said, we don't know what parts of the RT chatter had been edited out; the instructor may have explained what he meant by "Flare" earlier in the emergency)
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

I did manage to see the replay on 4/seven last night. Yes very good.
Keith