Newcastle Festival of Flight 2014

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Newcastle Festival of Flight 2014

Post by clavel9 »

Hi all

The annual Festival took place in County Down last weekend on a beautiful summer's day. The many highlights included the BBMF Lancaster, Midair Squadron's Hunter and Canberra and of course the Vulcan. You can see my photos here, with plenty more available from other Flickr members.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk1MKwx2

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Newcastle Festival of Flight 2014

Post by DaveB »

Some lovely aircraft there Brendan.. thanks for posting :thumbsup:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Great shots Brendan :thumbsup:

Love the hunter shots, you've really caught her there. Who is operating the PR9? I didn't realise any had been preserved in flying condition.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Techy111
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Techy111 »

The last surviving and complete Vickers Vanguard....."Superb"
ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Excellent photos :thumbsup:

Coming hot on the heels of watching "When Britain Ruled The Skies", it's heart warming to see them still flying. :) :tonka:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I like the hunter in that paint. The highlights and shadows make the curves and lines of the aircraft really Pop out.
you know...
it has better curves than Marylyn Monroe :wasntme: <cat call whistle>

Thanks for posting :)

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Lovely photos. I like the Falcons smoke trail and the Hunter, gorgeous, just gorgeous. Sfunny though, I had no idea that Australia operated the Typhoon! 8)

Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

You must have been a lot nearer the Slieve Donard Hotel than me, Brendan. Mind you, I was right down at the far end of the promenade! It was nice to see the Gnats as well as the Red Arrows, sort the older and younger generations. I thought it was a nice touch that the Canberra came back in with the Vulcan. It was a pity that the other Hunter had a problem and wasn't able to join the party, but it was a good day, and some one managed to divert the weather away as well, at least until after the show!

Thanks for the photos.

Best,
Myles

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

Myles wrote:You must have been a lot nearer the Slieve Donard Hotel than me, Brendan. Mind you, I was right down at the far end of the promenade! It was nice to see the Gnats as well as the Red Arrows, sort the older and younger generations. I thought it was a nice touch that the Canberra came back in with the Vulcan. It was a pity that the other Hunter had a problem and wasn't able to join the party, but it was a good day, and some one managed to divert the weather away as well, at least until after the show!

Thanks for the photos.

Best,
Myles
I was right down by the hotel, beside the grassy area where the Gazelle landed. I'd travelled in by bus and the bus station is just up the street. It was amazing that the weather stayed away as the approach roads into Newcastle were all wet on the outskirts of the town. I'd never seen most of the aircraft in the flesh before: the Irish Air Corps CASA of course, and the Miss Demeanour Hunter at a display in Dublin last autumn. The Midair Hunter and Canberra looked stunning in the allover silver paint. The Gnats were great and surprisingly noisy for such small aircraft. It's a pity that some of the displays were away from the seafront a bit, especially the Vampires and Typhoon. But still, a great day out.

Myles
Lightning
Lightning

Post by Myles »

Yes, it was a great day out :agree: . I could see plenty of rain out beyond Ballykinler and ran into a thunderstorm just passed Dundrum on my way home.

I read that they took the flight line from the actual water line, although the organisers had thought it would have been based on the high water mark, and, of course, the tide was going out the whole time. All I know is that I need a longer lens :lol: .

Just for reference, I was at the far end of the promenade across the road from the Donard car park. I might have to go again next year. In the meantime, I am seriously thinking of going to Portrush to see two Lancasters in formation.

Best,
Myles