10 Merlins

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: 10 Merlins

Post by 511Flyer »

Travelled to Eastbourne yesterday (17th) along with thousands of others, primarily to see the Lancs. They didn't appear .... TOO WINDY!!!! At least, that's the explanation the announcer gave.

The weather was clear for the most part, and it wasn't "Too windy" for anybody else. The Reds flew their full programme in blue skies, not "too windy" for them. The Mustang, Spitfire, Jet Provost, Gnats, Vampires, Canberra, Typhoon, all flew their displays. A Chinook did things that it wasn't ever meant to do. A Seaking carried out simulated rescues with the local lifeboat. Even the Brietling Stearmans flew in close formation with wing-walking girls. Too windy??

I fully realise that the aircraft of the BBMF and VERA, as well as the crews, are very precious, but would it have hurt them just to fly up and down the seafront in level flight? Just to see and hear them, would have made everybodys day.

I want to see VERA, and there will be other opportunities, but to say that I was disappointed yesterday, is a great understatement.

:(( :'(

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

The windiness will refer to the crosswind problem at Coningsby . The runway there is 07/25 , and the wind yesterday was predominantly northerly and pretty strong, certainly of the order of 20 knots , not to mention gusty . Quite a handful to have a near 90 degree crosswind and gusty to boot . I don't know whether you have ever seen the you tube of the near ground loop ( averted by a whisker ) by the BBMF Lancaster at , I think, North Weald in 1993 or 94, but it illustrates vividly and frighteningly how things with a large tailwheel aeroplane can get out of hand very quickly indeed

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I understand that they were based at Biggin Hill for the duration of the Eastbourne show. The Red Arrows opened the show and were some 7 minutes late, due we were told, to a very heavy shower at Biggin Hill which delayed their take off. So they were there also. I believe the Typhoon was there, and the Jet Provost? The BBMF were due at 13.00hrs, so some took off from Biggin before that time, and some after.

:dunno:

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Look, single engined aircraft, and tricycle undercarriage jet aircraft in particular such as the JP or the Hawk , are a doddle in a X/W compared with a Lancaster . Having come nearly 4000 miles to participate in these shows, do you think they would just abandon the idea for no reason ? I think you are being rather hard on them

For a graphic illustration of what I am talking about, watch this film of the BBMFLancaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kDgRYQFMs

I'm not sure whether the Lanc is worse than other a/c such as the Hastings ( with which I know you are familiar ) but I suspect that once the tail is down the twin fins are to some extent screened by the wing, and thus have much less rudder authority than with a single fin .

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Techy111 wrote:Image

Poor screenshot here...?

Tony
Clearly that rear Spitfire is firing his lasers... :hide:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I reckon its a strip of Window.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Or the Lanc in front emptying the Elsan? especially after seeing that cross wind landing video!
Keith

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

For a graphic illustration of what I am talking about, watch this film of the BBMFLancaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_kDgRYQFMs
I've seen that video of the near ground-loop at North Weald a few times. The Lanc stays parked on the runway for a fair while after the nifty recovery. I reckon that was just to allow the heart rate of the fella at the controls to return to something like normal! :-O

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I certainly don't consider that I've been hard on them by saying that I was disappointed. Also, they didn't cancel or no reason. They did so because it was too windy. I've also learned that they flew from Southend on saturday and returned to Coningsby in the evening, and stated at that time that all sunday flying would be cancelled. Therefore, the flying show announcers were perhaps being less than honest with the spectators?

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the displays that I saw, I wouldn't have travelled to Eastbourne had I known the facts. Also, I would have saved myself £35.

I'm now keeping my fingers crossed for this coming weekend, when I hope to see them at Dunsfold. Which is actually a lot closer to home than Eastbourne, although I'll have to go by car instead of coach.

I'll say no more. :-#

clavel9
Comet
Comet

Post by clavel9 »

There'll be 11 Merlins at Portrush this year: two Lancasters, the Hurricane, Spitfire and a P-51D.