Born again simmer

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Born again simmer

Post by J0hn »

This last year, things have become slightly stale in both FSX and DCS World for me. It's very same old and even though I continually buy new models, I rarely do more than a quick test flight in them.

Now, that has all changed, and today my interest has soared to new heights.

Why? SWMBO just bought me a 3rd screen - and although it took some setting up (only about 30 minute's worth) it is, well.... WOW!! :excited:

I took off in P3D, with the default Carenado Bonanza and it was gobsmackingly convincing! I've never really been convinced by the 3 screens thing in the past - but I'd only seen it in You Tube videos and believe me, it's not the same.

The first time I banked, on climb-out, I actually leaned over the other way. When I came round the circuit to land, on the zoomed-out view that many use, for some reason I wanted to stick my foot out of the virtual door and touch the ground :dunno: The feeling of floating along a few feet in the air was palpable (my Warthog throttle wasn't set right due to the 'off/reverse thrust' setting and I couldn't close it completely to touch down). Even just taxiing around is a different experience.

Amazing!

On the next circuit, I used the zoom-in view, which would be about accurate for the view in RL and this time, whilst I didn't feel like trying to physically touch the ground, it was still fantastic. Looking down to the GPS display with the TrackIR was like really sticking my head down into a cockpit. Got to say, it's a relief, with this Oculus Rift thingy becoming so popular, as I won't be able to use one due to health issues - this 3 screen set-up will do just nicely B)smk

So, my advice if, like me, you've been on the fence is: go for it! You definitely will not regret it!

I'm using a 22" central monitor (native 1680x1050) and two 19" side monitors (1440x900) all set to 1440x900 and a GTX760 OC with 2GB VRAM. nVidia say you can actually use 4 monitors on the card!

Oh and btw - the thing where the side panels or horizon don't match up to perfectly align, that we all probably are scepical about in the videos, are a complete non-event in-sim. Yes, when I looked, I noticed they didn't align. When I was just thinking about flying and enjoying the view, I didn't notice them once.

I can only imagine what this is going to be like in DCS World - with tracer and SAMs whizzing passed my lug-holes! :Dance:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Born again simmer

Post by Vancouver »

It is very immersive, the only two things I didn't like when I tried it was it killed my FPS in FSX to a slideshow if any weather was present and the distortion in the outer monitors. In FS9 strangely the distortion wasn't quite as extreme but then destruction of the FPS wasn't nearly as bad.
That of course was when I had an ATi card with Eyefinity. Now I have an Nvidea you have whetted my interest. I just need to grab the third monitor back from SWMBO (she can be vicious though :help: )
Presently I use two monitors, one for the sim in pseudo full screen and the other for the moving map and planning etc..

I wonder if P3D has the same levels of distortion that FSX gave me? :dunno: Something else to experiment with *-)
Alex

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Born again simmer

Post by J0hn »

Good luck with getting your monitor back :lol:

It's worth giving it a go - if you have the hardware, you've nothing to lose :thumbsup: