Garry Russell

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Garry Russell

Post by TobyV »

I'm sure it's been said already, but I would also like to say how Garry's knowledge and (compared to others here :lol: ) clean humour will be, and has already been, missed. I know he'd been struggling with his health for quite some time, perhaps longer than many would know. I think he must have been a fighter as there were previous occasions I knew his health was bad and I was worried he might suddenly vanish - other forum members had passed away in between but Garry kept on in there. As was said, he didn't want to make a big fuss and draw lots of attention to his difficulties. Despite his name being on so many aviation forums, with a huge contribution, both in terms of posts and information, knowing about "that airline that popped up for a few months in the 1980s" and his many FS repaints with their attention to detail, I think he was a fairly private person. I never even saw a photo of him despite having chatted to him on this forum, on MSN and on Skype over a period of years. I'm happy though that he got a chance to have some new experiences later in his life, finding someone new and moving to Latvia.

Rest in Peace, Garry.

Toby

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I know this is my second post and the first should have been sufficient but for one reason:
sort of wish I hadn't found the address now
Rick, I feel compelled in a way to write this.

Had you not found the address we would all still be wondering about Garry, at least we now have closure though all would wish it to be different with a more positive and happier ending.

Finally the more I read of the posts from other members paying tribute to Garry the more I feel that he probably looked upon this site as a second home with all the friendships he made.

Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

RAF_Quantum
The Gurus

Post by RAF_Quantum »

Very saddened to hear the news that we didn't really want to hear. Garry was a true gent and will be a great loss to the flight sim community and all that knew him.
Condolences to Aija and family.

John Payne

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Just come on to the site and found this. Very sad news.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

So very sad to read this news. RIP Garry.
Alex

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

Gents,

I'm not one of 'the regulars' here with just a handful of posts. However, Garry's kind and encouraging words to me showed him for the Gent he so obviously was. I've just had a look back through some of Garry's posts, and his last remark on the forums here seems to have been: "All the best guys :guinn: :cheers: :party:"

All the best Garry! :cheers:
Nick

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

That is very sad...I know we expected it but it is still shock to hear the bad news...Blue Skies Garry!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hiya fellas,

In the midst of our sorrow, we must keep in mind, the last thing Garry would want is for us to be left in a saddened state.
He loved humor for the medicine that it is. It certainly was the elixir for his pain. :)
so... I thought I'd share this in the hope of easing our sorrow.

Back when Garry was in the hospital, in Guernsey, for his first surgery; I called him to (in some small way) offer my show of support and friendship. When i first heard his voice I was so relieved, and quickly asked, "How are you doing, mate."
he responded, saying in a weak voice, "The doctor told me, I'm looking (slight pause with~ tonal inflection ) bRighter :Dance: today. .....
[He was setting me up, he was pitching me a pun]
So I took that bait, you bet I did, blo@@y hook line a sinker! and replied. ....

... :S :-O they made you smarter too?.... in con ceivable! B)smk

he laughed of course. ... then, he said I wasn't allowed to make him laugh. Because it'd make him pop a stitch! ... :doh:
boom! another one.! :lol:

but that was Garry ;) ... the man would put himself in pain to bring a smile to his mates heart... all of ours, every -one .

cheers, .. and a hip hip hurray to a fine decent humble caring fellow!

Joe.

DanKH
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by DanKH »

I was deeply saddened by the terrible news... :((

Garry and I have had many funny conversations over the years, but unfortunately we never met. Still I counted him as one of my close friends, we just seemed to have the same chemistry, and I know many of you had the same feeling about Garry.

As have been said by others as well; Garry had an unseen memory-bank for all British Aviation related.... If Garry didn't know, it wasn't worth knowing, that's for sure....

It won't be the same without him.

Rest in peace my friend :party:
Best Rgds
Dan
Image Image
Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Sorry to hear the news, everything has been said so i will not add mine,

R.I.P Garry,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.