Garry Russell

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Garry Russell

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps..

You'll all be aware of our concern over Garry's absence since Apr and our failure to get in touch with him. Rick found an address late last week that Garry posted on a thread here so I wrote a quick letter the same day. I've had a short email off Aija today confirming what we already feared. It is with great sadness that I convey the news that Garry passed away 13th Apr.. a couple of months short of his 58th birthday :(

I've never met anyone with Garry's eye for detail. His recall was almost encyclopaedic. His sense of humour and quick wit were legend. He was a kind, generous man and one I considered a close friend as I'm sure many here did.

It's ironic (if that's the right word) that I sent him a PM on the 12th Apr asking how he was and that I was concerned I'd not heard from him or seen him up on the forum for a week. I then posted a question in Admin on 14th asking if any of the team had heard from him.

The 'old place' is not the same without him. He was a character in every sense of the word.

Rest in peace my friend..

DaveB
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Garry Russell

Post by Filonian »

Very sad news indeed Dave.

Garry's knowledge and banter will be missed by all who knew him.

We all know how he suffered with poor health after the very serious operation he underwent a good while back, but at least he is at peace now.

I for one will miss him and the lengthy chats we had.

Rest in Peace my Friend.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Oh dear, that is sad. His knowledge of classic airliner histories, etc, was very good. We'll miss all that. He was also on Brit modeller forum and, I think the Key publishing forum.

Farewell Garry. :(

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

Sad to hear this but the news was not unexpected given the previous posts this year.

I will miss him and I fondly remember the many hours we used to spend chatting together on Skype (both typed and via voice links) several years ago.

Rest in peace my friend.
Larry

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Thanks for that Dave, I know you two were very close over the years.

Very,very sad news indeed, not unexpected but still a blow to loose such a great guy and friend, we will miss him very much especially that lightning wit of his,
RIP Garry

Robbie.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

such sorrowful news ,
Garry was a good man in many ways.
What shines far and above his knowledge, wit, and gentleman etiquette , was the strength and courage he showed facing his ailing flesh.

Garry didn't speak openly about his ailments, He really didn't want the attention, even more so ... pity...
but a few knew of the seriousness of it. He starred death in the face with so much courage . tempered with a peace about it all..

He sent me many pictures over the years...
I'll share this one... he liked going up to the ridge back behind his house, and just look at the beauty of it all

:( a poignant reminder of his absence

yet another now vacant bench to be used by the coming generation... may there be one found worthy to sit in his place

.....so long mate

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

The news we all feared has finally arrived. Gosh I have missed his puns and his infinite knowledge of aviation. Dave, if you can, please convey our condolences to his wife and family. He is really missed on here. Rest in peace, Gary.

Nigel²

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Almost incredible how Garry dealt with the daily assault on his body, and maintained his attention and wit.
Glad that he found love and beauty in his lifetime.
Yes, please send our condolences to Aija.
Goodbye Garry, and thank you.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Very sorry to read this, but thanks Dave for finding out for us. Rest in peace, Garry.

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I think we all expected the worst, but it's still a shock.
Our thoughts are with Aija, his family and friends.
You will be greatly missed. Rest in peace Garry.
Dave G.