Spitfire monument - again.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

John
Concorde
Concorde

Spitfire monument - again.

Post by John »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Lr0_VYBPs

There are many monuments to famous people, but seldom has a construction of steel, aluminium and art meant so much to a nation. It's the people who flew, built and delivered that this monument will remember, so if you can give a dam or maybe even a few quid to remember them, donate at the crowd funding page. http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/the-nation ... e-spitfire

But at the very least cut and paste this across Facebook or forums you might visit.

Thanks guys

John
never give up, never surrender

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Spitfire monument - again.

Post by airboatr »

2 days without a word. What's going on.
I wish the endeavor the best.

Joe

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

For those in Brum there is a Spitfire Monument in the middle of a roundabout at Castle Bromwich. However. for certain reasons I wont go into, the driving round there is particularly atrocious so admiring it whilst driving is not a particularly good idea.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

Guys can I ask a very open question? What do people think of the idea of the monument?

Love to hear your views, whatever they are

Kind regards

John

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Still thinking about this , John. My first thought is that with, what, 30-plus Spitfires airworthy, is a static sculpture yet required to commemorate the aircraft ? I don't wish to be unkind, but It seems a bit superfluous. When the Spitfire becomes an altogether extinct breed, then maybe the monument will have a place, but its time has not yet come.

I'm open to persuasion - as I say, this is my first thought on the idea.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

simondix wrote:For those in Brum there is a Spitfire Monument in the middle of a roundabout at Castle Bromwich. However. for certain reasons I wont go into, the driving round there is particularly atrocious so admiring it whilst driving is not a particularly good idea.
i searched the web about the monument ,roundabout Castle Bromwich, and read a review by a certain ..um , (I'll not mention her name to protect the innocent) 8) . ... from Birmingham, on TripAdvisor. .. in which she admits, -yeah, ....She admits to driving around the monument on that roundabout for Years not knowing what the monument was .. about... ... Now i ask myself, how could one be so busy they were not aware of it's presence. .. or purpose.
?? Putting on makeup?, brushing hair? , or teeth ( :hello: I've seen that!) Reading a paper?... etc etc.....
But then, perhaps that would account for the , atrociousness , driving the roundabout you spoke of.
anyway i dare say John's monument wouldn't be so easily missed.

Cheers

Joe

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

John wrote:Guys can I ask a very open question? What do people think of the idea of the monument?
Hello John - it must be a good five years or more since I first heard of this. At that time I thought it was worth doing, and still do, and since suggestions from the public were asked for, I said it should be four aircraft in the "Missing Man" formation, with no need to use full-size models. That was the last I heard of it until a couple of days ago :dunno:
MikeW

John
Concorde
Concorde

Post by John »

Thanks to those of you that have replied, if anyone wants to message me that'd be fine

John

TangoEcho
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TangoEcho »

Once again the hurricane gets forgotten, which was also flown by the few.
Regards

Tom