Kudos to Apple

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

VC10
Vulcan
Vulcan

Kudos to Apple

Post by VC10 »

Just under 6 yrs ago I bought an iMac with 3 yrs Apple care warranty. All was fine until about this time last year when the screen developed a fault.

I took in to a repairers in Guildford to see if they could identify the fault but it behaved perfectly for them. So I brought it home and it was OK for a few months then started playing up again so took it back again and they couldn't fault it. I took back home and once more it was OK for few months.

At the beginning of this year the fault started to occur more frequently so I took it to another repairer and it failed for him. Long story short, he said I'd need a new screen assembly (£360 + labour). Then he thought about it and said as it is under 6 yrs old I could try taking it to Apple and claim under the EU 6 yr warranty regulations. I booked a session at the Genius bar and thankfully the imac failed on cue. The technician said it needs a new screen and as it is a late 2009 'vintage' model they do not hold the spares any longer.

I said, in my opinion if the machine is still within a warranty period they can't just say there are no spares & wash their hands of the problem. The Apple technician suggested I call Apple Care again which I did and their initial response was 'it's a 2009 vintage machine and there is nothing they can do'. I said I don't care if they consider it a 2009 model, I bought it brand new in 2010. I asked for a supervisor and went through my reasoning with her and she said they would repair under the EU warranty regs and was told be to take it to a Apple approved reseller. This I did and after a week they said they couldn't get the spares. I contacted the Apple Care supervisor again who said leave it with her.

Today I went the the Apple Store in Kingston and collect a brand spanking new 27 inch iMac :welldone: :welldone:

p.s. I'm still voting out.
If God had meant us to fly, he would have given us tickets.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Kudos to Apple

Post by Dev One »

VC10 wrote:
p.s. I'm still voting out.
Don't go away then you will be needed on the EU/UK renegotiation team...
Keith

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Not all the Eu laws are crappy then, I suppose there had to be one. 8)
Alex

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Paying Apple 2 or 3 times what you'd pay for an equivalent PC/Laptop obviously does have its benefits :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

An excellent outcome for you, albeit by repeated request to ask them to stand behind their agreement, come hell or high water.. Kudos to you for your perseverance.

I heard our traitor in chief is sticking his nose in your business and suggested the UK stay in EU.

I'm counting the days for his exit.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

That is a very good result! Enjoy the new iMac Paul, I'm only slightly jealous... ;)
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!