Canberra to the sky!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Canberra to the sky!

Post by Chris558 »

Don't know if anyone's heard about this...

http://www.vulcantothesky.org/news/778/ ... lease.html

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Canberra to the sky!

Post by dodger »

That is fantastic news thanks for the HU,

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Just this minute read about it and headed here to proclaim the news - but you beat me to it. :lol:

Here's a BBC news link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36352330

Aside from the great news about the aircraft itself, I feel relieved that the Vulcan organization has found a new project to focus on. They have enormous experience in fund raising, engineering and all the various certification requirements and procedures. It would have been a terrible shame if that pool of expertise had been lost. So, its a bright day for the historic aircraft scene in Britain and as with XH558, my credit card stands ready to contribute. :thumbsup:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for that, Chris! :thumbsup:

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Good news, but I wonder if they'll struggle a bit with the fund raising. *-) The Canberra doesn't have the "wow" factor of the Vulcan on the general public. Mind you, it should cost less to keep in the air. :lol:
Dave G.

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Hello,

Worth saving? say no more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbA-yHoZSIs

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DaveG wrote:Good news, but I wonder if they'll struggle a bit with the fund raising. *-) The Canberra doesn't have the "wow" factor of the Vulcan on the general public. Mind you, it should cost less to keep in the air. :lol:
They reckon about a million to get her back in the air, Dave. You're right - it doesn't have the wow factor, but I reckon they'll manage a million. :)

thomasburnside
Trident
Trident

Post by thomasburnside »

It is fantastic news that they are getting a B2 flying but surely couldnt the get XH134 as well its there ready to go just needs a new owner.
Vulcan XH558 DONT Let Her Die She Wants To Fly.

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

Yeh, assuming all goes well, it's great news. I've been missing XH134 already - but I prefer the 'bubble' canopy of WK163.

I think why they've chosen '163 is because it's the height record breaker, although obviously '134 is more airworthy. Of course, they could have looked at the blue T4 at Newquay which is twin stick...to train future pilots? *-)

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Chris558 wrote:Yeh, assuming all goes well, it's great news. I've been missing XH134 already - but I prefer the 'bubble' canopy of WK163.

I think why they've chosen '163 is because it's the height record breaker, although obviously '134 is more airworthy. Of course, they could have looked at the blue T4 at Newquay which is twin stick...to train future pilots? *-)
I'm not sure there would be a need for the T4; there are still probably enough suitably qualified people to give it a reasonably long shelf life. Anyway, it appears that it's out of fatigue life in the mains par, so wouldn't be a player. Out of WK163 and '134, the former probably fits the bill that they want - British, a bomber, and a record breaker.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]