3 less airfields in uk soon

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

3 less airfields in uk soon

Post by Motormouse »

Seen it announced this morning, Chalgrove, Colerne and Henlow all to be sold for housing... More ticky-tacky boxes.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: 3 less airfields in uk soon

Post by DaveB »

Hmm.. wonder where Martin Baker will go with the closure of Chalgrove (or have they already gone)?

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

:( :( :(
When I visited Ballarat airport last week end, I saw what was farm paddocks on my last trip, all flattened, roads under construction etc.
Of course, next thing, the new residents will complain about the noisy aeroplanes, and there'll be pressure to close it (so they can build MORE houses)
Cull the kangaroos? *-) What other creatures are multiplying out of control? *-)

btw, 7:00 news just said 40% of Australian farmland is foreign owned. 8)

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

It's worth noting Chalgrove has been handed by the MoD to another agency, so isn't necessarily going to be sold off yet - presumably as it has a tenant. The rest are in or around prime development land sadly.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Well.. Chalgrove is a beautiful little village. I popped up there for a nosey once when I was at the pub in Berkshire. I'd been goofing at Benson and Chalgrove is but a mere twist of the throttle away (think it used to be a satellite for Benson back in the day). If ever there was a bit of prime building ground.. Chalgrove airfield would be it!

Still.. as its been handed to a-n-other agency.. it may not end up a new estate (no.. it would be a 'development' wouldn't it.. not an estate) :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DaveB wrote:. If ever there was a bit of prime building ground.. Chalgrove airfield would be it!
Quite so. The different with all the other sites are the user being more easily booted out! :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

That would make a difference :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Colerne hasn't been RAF for a long time. It's been Azimghur Barracks, home of 21 Sigs Regt. Bristol Uni Air Squadron were using it when I was last there for a reunion in 2006.

:)

Chris558
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris558 »

I used to live in Chalgrove, so grew up with M-B's Meteors, Dakota, and of course right under Benson's approach!

To be honest, I'm surprised the MoD hung on to Chalgrove for so long. In these ever increasing defence cuts, I'd have thought M-B would have moved to somewhere like Boscombe Down as a lodger unit.

I'd heard about the possibility of housing being built there a while ago, but it may just be part of the airfield that's affected, as I believe two of the runways are disused, leaving the long one open as usual. (I hope!).