If you need good laugh at British airport

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

If you need good laugh at British airport

Post by Aharon »

For anyone who needs a good laugh at a new British airport that can become 500 million dollar white elephant:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ng-it.html

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: If you need good laugh at British airport

Post by Airspeed »

:doh:

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

This story has been around for months - and why do you think it is so funny ?

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Why is it funny?
If you couldn't laugh, you'd cry at the outrageous blunder of not having established the facts before building the blasted thing.
It's like building a freeway, then finding that it floods when the tide comes in.
We expect that people charged with administering the country (at their own insistence, btw) would have the nouse to do a feasability study before wasting taxpayers' money.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I did take note of the British aeroplane in the photo.
:agree:
Hardcore B)smk

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Airspeed is right in his analytic commentary
airboatr wrote:I did take note of the British aeroplane in the photo.
I did take note of the video in this link showing awesome sand blowing landing after three times. That made me wonder how much reserve fuel that the plane had to use up for three attempts to land considering the fact there was NO nearby airport for emergency refuel place!!

Would be cheaper to build St Helena airport on FSX and do the simulation testing on that to see if it is feasible to build 500 million airport on the island!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Aharon

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Not certain FSX would simulate the wind shear correctly. Also the 737-800 has a pretty long range, up to 5,510nm depending on range. More than enough to fly out from Africa, make several attempts and get home, especially if empty.

But what to do about that wind shear? Mostly I thought efforts were on detecting it and avoiding crashes, not flying through it and safely landing.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Unfortunately, neither Aharon nor Airspeed seem to be aware of the catastrophic consequences this has had for those living on St. Helena . There is nothing funny about that at all

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Chris,
Like I said, the choice is to laugh or cry. It's a horrendous and costly blunder that should not have got past the written proposal stage.
If elected people and the civil servants had done what they are paid for, you and I wouldn't be squabbling over the interpretation of terminology now.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Found one one new site that they are looking for a solution but...
In the meantime, we are working hard to identify an interim flight solution that can land on our second runway (02, from the south). There is no wind shear on this second runway, but there is a tailwind. We have identified aircraft types which can land in these conditions, and airlines that have such planes – and we are now exploring the specific availability of aircraft with these airlines.
Apparently there is an airline that is transiting a RJ-100 to south america that will overnight in St Helena, hopefully they will have a good experience. I can only imagine the difficult situation the islanders are in if they don't get something flying into the airport. Especially if there ship stops operating next year. Even if they do get the airport running, you will still need a ship to transport supplies to the island.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.