Advance apologies

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Advance apologies

Post by Filonian »

As title, I apologise if this offends as I appreciate we are not political on here.

For those of you remember this: -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... itary.html

I can tell you that after three years of battling and using all their savings, the lady has been told to leave the UK before May 14th. On top of which, they apparently have been told they will have to repay the only monies they have received - child allowance - this after working the whole time and paying taxes etc.

Ray's father is a personal friend, another Veteran and secretary of the Leeds Mess of the Fellowship of the Services 2015 (My crowd)

As I said at the start, sorry in advance and if this offends please remove the post.

I am now going to calm myself with a malt or three.

Graham :(
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Re: Advance apologies

Post by Tomliner »

Graham on the face of it this beggars belief.Perhaps this family don't tick all of the politically correct boxes. It will be interesting to see if HMG put forward a spokesperson to respond to this. Don't hold your breath. 8) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

No need for apolgies.

It sickens me, that someone who has declared allegiance to Queen and Country (as well as being a Commonwealth citizen) is told to leave the country. Meanwhile, people born here are travelling overseas to be trained to cause death and destruction are allowed back in without batting an eyelid.
Now that we are getting our sovereignty back, we should review our policies on who deserves to live here (please don't interpret this as me being against honest hard working immigrants - I'm more than happy for them to stay). It's those who wish to cause us harm who should be deported (even if they were born here. I include in that, the morons who needlessly attacked an asylum seeker a few days ago). If no country will accept them, there's plenty of ocean!

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Oh I have no problem believing it. I always had all sorts of issues getting back into the UK when I lived there. Canadian passport/Met police officer/tax payer having lived in the UK since I was 7. Every time I would be pulled over and interrogated at Dover meanwhile German French Italian reg'd vehicles were waved through with a smile. Commonwealth means not a jot. Maybe will improve once out of the Eu. The only times I was never queried was when arriving at LHR when there was nobody there stop us coming through. Top security.
That said when we nip south of the border here, the US Homeland Security have problems with a Canadian passport holder, born in Canada who speaks like a Jock. I guess Border agents don't get out much. 8)
Alex

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

This both a disgrace and a scandal, a man who has served Queen and Country and prepared to die for our freedom cannot have his legitimate wife and children live here with him.

Meanwhile immigrants can burn our National flag in the streets with impunity; something is definitely wrong, and there was no need for any apology in the OP.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

A slap in the face for this heroic veteran. Just horrible. I can only imagine how betrayed he must feel. :( Surely there must be a way for the wife and children to legally gain citizenship. That's the least the government can do for this family.

Brian

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

FlyTexas wrote:A slap in the face for this heroic veteran. Just horrible. I can only imagine how betrayed he must feel. :( Surely there must be a way for the wife and children to legally gain citizenship. That's the least the government can do for this family.

Brian
There is a time aspect in attaining dual Canadian/British citizenship. Something of which my daughter experienced with her kids born in Canada of one British (her) parent. It has to be applied for very early in the life of an infant - I blv it has to be before 18 months-ish else it cannot be done. Even then it is a fairly expensive process.

It's not just Britain that behaves in this way, I know of two Brits personally both married to Canadians who were required to leave the country and apply for Permanent Residency from outside the country. It does seem barbaric especially under the current climate of allowing just anybody claiming refugee status when the enter illegally. Oh! and here is somewhere to live, a car and nice regular Social Security income every month just to make sure you feel welcome. :rant:
Alex

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Graham :hello:
What they said.
Obviously I was wrong in thinking that Commonwealth citizens were always welcomed.

This treatment is disgraceful, and adding insult by requiring repayment of Child Allowance despite the father's status is the @#** limit!

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I second everything that has been said. It is utterly disgraceful- and that really is an understatement

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I am literally lost for words, disgraceful state of affairs. Graham perhaps a petition should be raised on change.org and I am sure many here will be only too pleased to sign it. Something must be done for some-one who has served Queen and Country and his family.

https://www.change.org/?utm_medium=emai ... NC5xn7U%2b

Or better still this: https://petition.parliament.uk/
Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.