Swiss Transport Museum photos

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Swiss Transport Museum photos

Post by TobyV »

Went to the Verkershaus der Schweiz or Swiss Transport Museum on Easter Sunday. Selected a few photos that may be of interest here:

One of, if not the most impressive model railway layouts I have seen. I should have taken more photos of the other three sides.

This CV990 flew into Alpnach military airfield from ZRH in 1975 and, with the vertical stab removed, was transported across the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake of Lucerne) on a raft propelled by a number of motorboats and then hauled onto the shore at the Transport Museum. She's been outside ever since, but with a substantial budget provided to cover maintenance and has repainted a couple of times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFW_N-20

GE produced this somewhat improvised turbofan in response to the Conway apparently. The single fan stage as at the back "above" the turbine a bit like a Baumann stage in a steam turbine, but in reverse.

CV990 cockpit

Küchemann carrot, anti shock body on the trailing edge of the CV990 wing. The CV990 was one of the fastest subsonic airliners

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Swiss Transport Museum photos

Post by cstorey »

I can still hear the peculiar howl ( a real "blue note" ) that the aft fan CJ805s on the Coronado produced in the climb at altitude . The only ones I encountered were the Spantax ones , although Finnair and Swissair operated them. Very interesting pictures thank you

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

I think Toby should give up Working in Aerospace and just be a photographer. :poke:

Excellent as always Mate

Regards
Rick

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Thanks Rick. Actually maybe I'd like to give up power generation and work in aerospace :lol:

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Thanks for posting Toby,
Love the MG one of my favorite cars,

Roger
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Can't beat a Küchemann Carrot. Nice CV990 - I bet it wasn't quite as fast as a VC10 though! :lol:
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Great photos, Toby! :thumbsup: Thanks very much for sharing them. :) The cars look like they're in a giant vending machine. Just insert a coin and make your selection. :lol:

Brian

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

That's pretty much how it works. There's a lift that can traverse back and forth and take cars "off the shelf". They then get transported down to a display turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Z6TWWVDH8