Proposals to close Fairoaks

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

Proposals to close Fairoaks

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chaps,

Dunno if any of you might be interested but there are plans afoot to close Fairoaks and build some 1500 houses on the site. This is causing quite a stir as you'd imagine.. not least of all because it will mean the closure of yet another airfield.

More info here: http://nofairoaksnewtown.uk/

and for those who live close and would like to petition against the proposals, go here: http://petitions.surreyheath.gov.uk/ProtectFairoaks/

Below is part of the notification email I received from the Brooklands team:
Fairoaks Airport in Chobham is less than 4 miles from Brooklands as the plane flies, and is one of only two remaining working General Aviation airports in Surrey.

Many of us at Brooklands know Fairoaks, and some have probably flown from there. What many may not know is that today, after 80 years existence there are plans afoot, with the backing of Surrey Heath Borough Council, for developers to turn the airport, which is in the Greenbelt, into a “Garden Village” with 1500 homes.

We all know what a struggle it was to save Brooklands from being completely covered with concrete after 80 years.

Before, and during WWII over 6000 airmen learned to fly at Fairoaks in Tiger Moths. Damaged Bristol Beaufighters, Beauforts and Blenheims were sent there for repair, Hurricanes were evacuated there from Brooklands after it was bombed in September 1940 and it was also visited by Wellingtons. Racing drivers Mike Hawthorn, Sir Jack Brabham and Basil De Lissa obtained their PPL there, Ron Flockhart and John Cooper flew from there. Cherry Huggins, later Lady Hambro learnt to fly there and went on to marry her flying instructor Peter Twiss, the first man to fly faster than 1000 mph in the droop snoot Fairy Delta 2.

Fairoaks is the only airport in Surrey that can be operated 24/7 for medical emergencies and organ air transport services. There were 152 such medical flights/movements recorded there in 2016. It’s home to scores of light and small business aircraft, a flying school and related businesses. Where can they go if Fairoaks closes? The majority of local people want Fairoaks to remain as a working airport, and a petition to SHBC has been set up. It already has 2000 signatures, but at least 3500 signatures are needed for this petition to be debated at a meeting of the Full Council, and that’s practically the whole population of Chobham. The deadline for signatures is 24 June, so I’m hoping a little help from friends who share an interest in aviation can raise the number above 3500.

You don’t have to live in Chobham, Surrey Heath or even the UK to sign the petition. If you sign the petition and have like-minded friends, please ask them to sign also. A signature automatically triggers an email response from SHBC and it’s necessary to click on that email to register the signature.

So there you have it.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Proposals to close Fairoaks

Post by DaveG »

Signed.
Dave G.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Me too. :thumbsup:

Brian

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Duly signed and link passed on to my contacts

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Rick Piper
The Gurus
Location: In front of screen learning 3ds max :/ ...............Done it :)

Post by Rick Piper »

signed

spatialpro
Concorde
Concorde

Post by spatialpro »

Signed

Formerly "Airtrooper"

i9-10900KF, 64Gb RAM,
RTX 3090, HP Reverb G2, Win10 Pro 64-bit
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, Saitek X52 Pro

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Signed!
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

Done that
J

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Signed.

Mind you some of the things dome at my local airfield leave me bewildered!

No flying at Compton Abbas on a Monday from the 17th June onwards due to staff shortage!

Yes I do understand the arguements as to why it is being effectively closed one day a week but what do we pay our money for? :dunno:

Nev

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Signed.
I'm surprised though that it hasn't been built upon already considering the price of property in Surrey - but 1500 houses - what about the infrastructure!

My history:
1st flight Auster J1 G-AHBO 7th July 1946, pilot my father.
Learnt to fly 1957, first lesson Tiger Moth G-ANUD 6th April 1957.
Solo check 27 April 1957 after 6 h 10 min, but not allowed to go solo due to gusty conditions by Bakers Hangar! I beat the instructor to the throttle to catch the ballooning!
Official first solo 1 st May 1957 7hr 20min in Tiger G-AODS, & yes, the loss of the instructor's weight does make a big difference to the Tiger's performance & response to gusty conditions.
Test for licence by legendary W/Cdr Arthur in Tiger G-AOAC total hours 31:20.
Converted to Auster Alpha & Taylorcraft +D , by Ron Cobbett & the Winco respectively.
Last recorded flight from Fairoaks 27 March 1960 in Auster Alpha G-AIGU with my fiancee & best man to be & his wife!
Cost of married life put the curb on further piloting except as 2nd dickie in fathers Proctor!
Both my father & uncle kept their aircraft at Fairoaks for a while. (Speed Six & Proctor).
Father spent his last working days with Alan Mann inspecting & repairing aircraft.
Oh Happy days...no radio, no radar, just Aldis Lamps & green, green grass & if landing over the hangars the slope of the ground was the same as the glide slope of a Tiger.......
Keith