Sea Vixen gear up landing

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Sea Vixen gear up landing

Post by TobyV »

The flying DH Sea Vixen apparently had some kind of problem today and made a wheels up landing at Yeovil on return from Duxford. No injuries.

Photos here (this should be a public FB link I hope):

https://www.facebook.com/scott.dabinett ... 2198850876

- Edit, one post suggests the problem was a loss of hydraulics.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Sea Vixen gear up landing

Post by DaveG »

Ouch! Good job getting her down safely.
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

- Edit, one post suggests the problem was a loss of hydraulics.
Hmm.. another one suggested he blew the canopy with a view to banging out! I think he blew the canopy with a view to getting out sharpish rather than banging out.

What a shame :(

Glad he walked away from it though and a darned fine landing by all accounts :thumbsup:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Dave, I presume the canopy jettison is just some explosives? I read that this was normal in order to aid faster evacuation from the aircraft if necessary. One photo appears to show a lot of flames and he appeared to land on the drop tanks. Someone else pointed out the flaps were not down, which might also be consistent with loss of hydraulics.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

One photo appears to show a lot of flames and he appeared to land on the drop tanks.
I'm guessing the flames were due to whatever was left in the drop tanks, probably just fuel vapour, being ignited when they were burst open?

Hopefully it'll buff out but a shame for it to happen so early in the season.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yup.. it wouldn't take long for over 12t of aircraft to wear holes in the drop tanks. No real evidence of fire (as such) in those shots. In fact it looks remarkably unscathed after it's ordeal :rock:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Shame, she was slated to appear at Old Warden next Sunday 4th June (and me :Dance: ) during the 'Fly Navy' day. :'(
Still, hope any damage can be repaired.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Looking at the Sea Vixens Flight Manual in conjunction with those shots.. its possible that the aircraft lost 2 of its 4 hydraulic systems. The undercarriage for example is supplied by the Green system and should a Green system failure occur, it is still possible to lower the gear using the Red system emergency procedure. Unfortunately, in an aircraft of this age and design, there is a high probability of a cascade effect.. that is, should the Green system fail, you're to land as soon as possible as the Red system may follow. Likewise, should a Yellow system failure occur, you don't deploy the RAT until absolutely necessary to protect blowing the Blue system. Doesn't instil a huge amount of confidence does it :-O I'm glad Brian never modelled this! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

DaveB wrote:
27 May 2017, 22:53
Looking at the Sea Vixens Flight Manual in conjunction with those shots.. its possible that the aircraft lost 2 of its 4 hydraulic systems. The undercarriage for example is supplied by the Green system and should a Green system failure occur, it is still possible to lower the gear using the Red system emergency procedure. Unfortunately, in an aircraft of this age and design, there is a high probability of a cascade effect.. that is, should the Green system fail, you're to land as soon as possible as the Red system may follow. Likewise, should a Yellow system failure occur, you don't deploy the RAT until absolutely necessary to protect blowing the Blue system. Doesn't instil a huge amount of confidence does it :-O I'm glad Brian never modelled this! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
Whew.. :doh: . All those failures would have activated my brown system.

... :wasntme:
Last edited by airboatr on 28 May 2017, 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Hmm... I would suspect a failure in a part common to both systems if emergency gear failed to operate.
Most likely a hose on one of actuators maybe.

Whatever, that is just speculation on my part. Good job on the landing.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.