Around the world in 175 days.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Around the world in 175 days.

Post by blanston12 »

April 6, 1924: Major Martin initially though a photo graphic airplane was Lt Wade in Boston so the first three aircraft headed for Prince Rupert, only later did he discover his mistake. After flying though haze so thick they had to drop to 100 feet to pick their way around the numerous small. After passing the Johnstone strait they emerged from the fog just in time to avoid a Steamer looming just ahead. Back into fog and over increasingly heavy seas. They arrived at the entrance to Prince Rupert Harbor and encountered a heavy snow storm. As Martin was about to land he could see he had too much momentum to stop before hitting the beach but not enough power to go around so he cut power and pulled up to make a stalled landing, he avoided the beach but landed with enough force to damage the left wing struts and some of the wires. The other pilots landed safely, Lt Wade in Boston landed an hour after the others. Lt Arnold wrote in his diary, “125 miles of fog, 275 in rain and snow, hell of a day”. Seattle was hauled into the Prince Rupert Dry Dock for repairs.

June 17, 2017: Today I prepared the Waco UBF-2 for flight. The Waco F-Series first flew in 1930 and was a very popular sport and training aircraft. Many of this classic aircraft are still flying and versions the aircraft are still being built. The model I am using was made by Golden Age simulations and it is very nice to fly. I think it’s the fourth Golden Age aircraft I have used so far.

The weather was calm but hazy, visibility between 5 and 8 miles. I was always worried that the fog would roll in so I stayed low at around 1000ft but full fog never arrived. I few along the west coast of Princess Royal and Pitt island before arriving at Prince Rupert Harbor. The 155 nm flight from Bella Bella took 1.5 hours.

Ready for flight.

Hazy conditions.

Princess Royal Island.

Along the way.

Flying between McCauley and Pitt Islands.

The town of Prince Rupert.

Nice view of the cruise ship.

Safe landing.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

April 10, 1924: It took about 3 days to complete the repairs to the damaged Seattle. It was raining on the morning of the 10th but reports from along there route were encouraging so Major Martin decided they would attempt the 282 mile flight to Sitka Alaska. That moring for the first time all four planes took off together, an hour later they passed Ketchikan at low altitude in light rain. Passing the Clarence strait about 60 miles from Sitka they encountered thick haze and had to fly low over 30 foot swells with only 100 yard visibility. As they approached the there destination, Wade recalled “The harbor sight was exhilarating, mirror like water, tiny city, snow capped peaks, and a sky full of soaring seagulls”.

June 19, 2017: Today from Prince Rupert I prepared the Fairey Swordfish for the flight. The Fairey Swordfish was a British torpedo bomber that first flew in 1934 and is probably the closest aircraft to the Douglas World Cruiser I am likely to use, unless of course someone decides to make a P3D/FSX compatible version of the DWC (please?). Despite being considered obsolete at the start of the WW2, it was still in service when the war ended. Produced until 1944, it sank more ships than any other allied aircraft and survived past several aircraft designed to replace it. The model I am using today is made by 'Flying Stations' and is quite nice.

It was cloudy in Prince Rupert so as I left I stayed low as I headed North west over the channel. After about an hour of flying the cloud lifted and I climbed to 6000 ft so I could head directly over the mountains rather than weaving my way through the many channels. Once I had flown over the lower peninsula of Baranof island I descended to 1500 feet and followed the along the coast to Sitka Alaska and landed after 2.3 hours of flying.

Here are a few pics from the flight.

Prince Rupert, BC. Ready to go

Climbing out of Prince Rupert, BC.

Turning toward Ketchikan Alaska

Flying over Ketchikan Alaska

Ah! Good flying weather.

Flying along the coast of Baranof Island.

Coming into Sitka Alaska.

Landed Safe!
Joe Cusick,

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

April 13, 1924: They could not leave on the 11th because of heavy rain. It rained, hailed and snowed on the 12th, they flyer were kept busy keeping trying to protect there aircraft that kept loosing there anchors, but on the 13th it was clear and calm so they took on extra fuel so they could reach 625 miles to Seward in case the weather was clear at their initial destination of Cordova. With Lt Wade in the lead they took off, the good weather did not last long and they flew in violent snowstorms. Wade flew at 100 feet over the shore line with the others in formation behind as they tried to avoid the mountains that would loom up in their way…

June 24, 2017: Today I will by flying the de Havilland DH.82 Tiger moth. The tiger moth first flew in 1932 and was an evolution of the earlier DH.60 Moth. It was used as the primary trainer for the RAF and many other Air forces until the late 50’s and is still operated by many private individuals and flying clubs. Well over 8000 were built. Today I will be using the model built by Ant’s Airplanes and I like this model enough that it is setup as the default aircraft when I load flight sim.

There are many more capable aircraft from the early 30’s I could have used but I did not want to pass up the TM, but it does not have the range to make Seward so instead the destination will be Yakutat Alaska, 201 nm away. Conditions at Sitka were good for flying, light winds and about a 8k ceiling and started off happily around 4000 ft but soon had to drop to 1000 ft as the clouds got heavier and it started to rain. Lots of cool glaciers to see as we headed along the coast. The weather lighted up as we got close to Yakutat and the flight took 2.3 hours later. Here are a few pics from the flight.

Ready for takeoff.

On our way, good flying weather near Sitka.

Weather is closing in, our first Glacier along the way.

More glaciers.

Weather is clearing up.

Scenery along the way.

On approach to Yakutat.

Secured.
Last edited by blanston12 on 26 Jun 2017, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Cusick,

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

April 13, 1924: The planes continued on 10 feet above the breakers, "The beach was covered in snow and the air around us was filled with it", Nelson Wrote. Arnold wrote in his diary "I hope we never have to fly through such thick weather again". The weather broke into clear skies and unlimited visibility as they approached Cordova, so instead of landing there they continued on to Seward. Major Martin late sent a letter of apology to the Mayor of Cordova when he learned they had prepared a reception and dinner in their honor.

June 25, 2017: Today I planned to use the De Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide. The DH.89 first flew in 1934 and went on to become perhaps the most successful British built short-haul commercial passenger aircraft of the 1930s. The model I will be using today id by Dave Garwood and the CBFS design team and is excellent.

Flying weather today was excellent, Clear, scattered clouds, easy flying until I got close to Montague island when the clouds started to thicken up. Knowing the island was in front of me I decided to go over the small cloud in front of me but then saw that the clouds extended for quite some distance beyond i headed for the nearest hole in the clouds to head back to low level., I had to drop to 600 feet to get below the clouds. The clouds broke about 15 minute later and I could climb back to 1500 ft and cruised along the coast until i reached the mouth of Resurrection Bay, then up the bay and a landed at Seward. I traveled the 297 nm from Yakutat to Seward in 3.1 hours.

Here are the pics:

Where did these guys come from, well there the passangers, looks like they are headed to a Grunge concert or something, hope they enjoy the flight.

Climbing out over Yakutat Bay.

Glamour shots.

Clounds starting to close in.

Trying to get under them.

Clear skies again.

Resurrection Bay

The town of Seward Alaska.

Secure at Seward.

Yes, I know that's nine, I have tried to stay to eight but its such a pretty plane, sorry.
Last edited by blanston12 on 27 Jun 2017, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Cusick,

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

Your flight is really entertaining. Please keep flying!

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

hobby wrote:
26 Jun 2017, 19:27
Your flight is really entertaining. Please keep flying!
Thanks hobby, is usually very quiet after I post one of these so sometimes I worry I am just boring everyone to death, so your encouragement means a lot.
Joe Cusick,

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Enjoying them here too Joe! If I can get some aircraft I like to fly working in P3D I might follow your example. I'm actually installing FSX again at the moment as I'm missing my Vanguard and Trident Fix :cpu: :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

TSR2 wrote:
27 Jun 2017, 00:02
Enjoying them here too Joe! If I can get some aircraft I like to fly working in P3D I might follow your example. I'm actually installing FSX again at the moment as I'm missing my Vanguard and Trident Fix :cpu: :thumbsup:
Thanks Ben. I have had pretty good success bringing in FSX aircraft into P3D. V4 is more finicky than V3 but the majority of native aircraft work in both.
Joe Cusick,

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Joe,

My problem is the QW aircraft don't work as the gauges are GUA files, and the 748, Vanguard, VC10 and Trident are all too old. ☹
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

April 15, 1924: By 11 am they were ready for the 425 mile flight to Chignik. Only Major Martin in Seattle had difficulty taking off and had to take three attempts to get in the air. For the next four hours, the flight was uneventful and enjoyable but stiff head winds slowed them down. Harding recalled “The clear deep blue water below, clear skies above, and snow covered peaks and glaciers on our right were beyond description in beauty and splendor” . The other crews noticed that Seattle had dropped down to lower altitude and was staying near the rear of the formation. All but Martin decided to go over a mountain while he tried to go around it. When they reached Cape Igvak Seattle could not be seen in the thick haze, but with the strong head winds they did not have the fuel to go back and search for them. After 6 hours 38 minutes of flying they landed in Anchorage Bay at Chignik they immediately rushed ashore to radio that there leader was missing and believed down on Portage Bay. The Navy immediately ordered the destroyers Corey and Hull to the area.

June 27, 2017: Today I will be flying the Douglas DC-2 for the 364nm flight from Seward to Chignik Alaska. Introduced in 1934 and built in response to a TWA specification for an all metal tri-motor, the Douglas response was more radical with twin engines, retractable landing gear and two 690 hp Wright radial engines driving variable-pitch propellers. Although overshadowed by its ubiquitous successor, it was the DC-2 that first showed that passenger air travel could be comfortable, safe and reliable. A KLM DC-2 even came in second in the MacRobertson Air Race between London and Melbourne while carrying mails, making scheduled passenger stops.

The model I am flying today is by UIVER Team and is quite nice. Its nice but touchy to fly, if you lower the gear when your flying to fast the hydraulics will fail and the engines cut out on me once as I probably over-revved the engine. But the flight was uneventful for me, even if it was quite rainy when I left Seward and the scenery along the way was quite dramatic. I arrived after 2.3 hours of flying. Here are a few pics from

Ready as Seward, Active Sky said this was light rain.

Back out Resurrection Bay.

I did say there was 'light rain' didn't I.

Glaciers.

Not sure what this rock is but it is dramatic.

After flying through some fog the weather finally cleared up.

Approaching Chignik.

Secured.
Joe Cusick,