How to wreck a spitfire.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

How to wreck a spitfire.

Post by blanston12 »

Saw this video just recently. Supposedly happened just a few days ago.

https://youtu.be/c-uQqXKBYAg

From what I understand in the comments, the pilot survived but was just shocked. Can't say that for the spit though, wings look like they are badly bent but its might be repairable.
Last edited by blanston12 on 13 Jun 2017, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: How to wreck a spitfire.

Post by Airspeed »

Heard about that last night from some non aviation fans, who'd seen it on the news.
Thanks for posting, Joe, I had missed it.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Glad th pilot survived

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3777420/s ... e-airshow/

Found this over at SOH, & there are a lot of other links over at Key publishing forum.
Keith

Hot_Charlie
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Easily repairable considering the former state of some now airworthy Spitfires.
Charlie

[Intentionally Blank]

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

See here for more: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthre ... -in-France

It is a shame about the airframe but as someone has already mentioned, I'm sure it will fly again at some point. The sad part is that one spectator was injured by a piece of debris (probably prop blade). Hopefully she will recover from this.

The story in The Sun is pretty sensational as always. It amazes me how they can find new uses for the term 'nosedive' even though it is a manouvre that is never taught in any flying training..... :S
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

O/T - but there was a strange story in the Sun the other day about an Easyjet aircraft at Malaga that had some trouble starting its engines. I was trying to elicit what actually happened from between the lines. I got the impression that the Sun had interviewed a bunch of passengers who hadn't really understood the nature of the problem and then further obscured the truth through usual poor journalism (applies not only to the Sun but seemingly many journalists when faced with something scientific or engineering-related). Although I'm sure it (or at least something) occurred, I didn't see any articles about it in any other publications, so I assume it was more or less a non-story.

Back on topic, can new main spars be fabricated and fitted if necessary? Are there any rules about how much of an aircraft has to be original manufacturer parts or are the rules different for warbirds/specials etc?

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

We're at a point where almost every bit of metal on a Spitfire can be manufactured new, as long as someone picks up the bill. Many of the more recent restorations have basically been re-manufactured airframes. As for rules, you'll have to keep tigger's broom in mind. During the service life of an aircraft it is normal to replace many different parts, up to complete wings or (in the case of the Hawk trainers for example) complete fuselages. So as long as one aircraft emerges from the restoration hangar, it doesn't really matter what happened behind those doors. Just have a look at what Airframe Assemblies (on the Isle of Wight) can deliver.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

TobyV wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 19:57
O/T - but there was a strange story in the Sun the other day about an Easyjet aircraft at Malaga that had some trouble starting its engines. I was trying to elicit what actually happened from between the lines. I got the impression that the Sun had interviewed a bunch of passengers who hadn't really understood the nature of the problem and then further obscured the truth through usual poor journalism (applies not only to the Sun but seemingly many journalists when faced with something scientific or engineering-related). Although I'm sure it (or at least something) occurred, I didn't see any articles about it in any other publications, so I assume it was more or less a non-story.

Back on topic, can new main spars be fabricated and fitted if necessary? Are there any rules about how much of an aircraft has to be original manufacturer parts or are the rules different for warbirds/specials etc?
Easyjet probably had a duff APU (it happens) then ground cart supplied couldnt deliver enough oomf ( it happens too) in form of air pressure for a good start.

Regarding what can be be rebuilt, IIRC its only the original aeroplanes data plate (installed at build) and one or two other key components that are needed to satisfy the 'restoration' tag, otherwise would be classified as 'new built' with need to comply with all current regulations.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Motormouse wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 11:05
Easyjet probably had a duff APU (it happens) then ground cart supplied couldnt deliver enough oomf ( it happens too) in form of air pressure for a good start.

Regarding what can be be rebuilt, IIRC its only the original aeroplanes data plate (installed at build) and one or two other key components that are needed to satisfy the 'restoration' tag, otherwise would be classified as 'new built' with need to comply with all current regulations.
Re the easyJet, those were pretty much exactly my thoughts.

Re the Sea Vixen, I hope the manufacturers plate didn't get ground off along the runway then!