Card Fraud

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Card Fraud

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been about much the last few weeks. Just a quick heads up. I got an automated call from Barclaycard yesterday saying that my card details had been compromised and they were going to cancel and reissue my card. Its a card that I only use once a month for fuel at the local Sainsburys or Morrisions, and the only reason I have it is to help my credit score. I've used it twice online ever (I only got it in February this year). Once was for Dominos pizza (which was only last week) and the only other occasion it was used was paying for P3D v4. Now I don't know for certain what has caused Barclaycard to warn me that the card has been compromised, but give that the only two non chip and pin transactions are Dominos Pizza and Lockheed Martin, that does seem to narrow it down a bit (In my head anyway).
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Re: Card Fraud

Post by Buggyman »

Got the same call last night.

Old card cancelled and a new one being issued. Beginning to wonder if this in itself is a scam or not. Only use in past ten days have been to buy a model from Hobbies Ltd and a couple of books from Amazon. Trouble is how do we find out if this is genuine for sure? Worrying times.

ATB

Allan

TangoEcho
Meteor
Meteor

Post by TangoEcho »

Phone Barclay Card using number on your card.
Regards

Tom

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ben, I bet it's Lockheed Martin. They're trying to recoup the cost over-runs on the F-35. :agree:

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Rang BC: "this is a pro-active measure where the customer's permission is sought to replace a card which may be the subject of misuse."

Very helpful guy who fully understood my trepidation but emphasised that my card was not being used to fund a coke deal in Panama. 0:)

Back to being a happy bunny.

As for LM? Didn't mention them.. :lol:

ATB

Allan

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yep, I messaged them from the secure message thing on their website and they confirmed it was genuine. The only reason I thought it odd was that there was no message from them in the secure message bit. Youd think if there was something up with your card they would send a message to the secure messaging system too, but apparently not. 8)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

robcarrich
Concorde
Concorde

Post by robcarrich »

Had the same call myself, yesterday Ben.
Last used the card to renew LM subscription.
Same thing happened a year ago after doing the same thing.
It seems that there has been no suspicions activity on my account, its just some sort of precaution.
Another funny thing is that they used my mobile to contact me, I only acquired the number couple of weeks ago and I've not given it to anyone.
I rang the number on the card from a different phone to verify all this, they are sending a new card.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

been throught the same process myself for some reason.

Old c ard cancelled and awaiting a new one.

Strange times, but the main thing is no financial loss.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Not heard anything from Barclaycard so guess I am not that important or pose a risk to myself due to lack of spending!! 8)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.