Aircraft identification please ?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Aircraft identification please ?

Post by Paul K »

Haven't seen this one before and with floats on the wings, it's a bit unusual. I spotted it on the webcam at Hoogeven in the Netherlands ( I watch a lot of Dutch webcams, you know. :worried: ). Anyway, it looks to be amphibian, because Hoogeveen is well inland and there are no bodies of water adjacent to the airfield - so it's not beaching gear. Can't see any form of propulsion. Anyone got an idea what it is ?

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Aircraft identification please ?

Post by hobby »

I cannot see any engines. Can the aircraft be a glider?? Underwing pods might be skids.

dodger
Concorde
Concorde

Post by dodger »

Well to me it looks like a Seaplane but i can't see any power plant, perhaps it has had the engine removed ?

Sorry i can't help anymore.

Roger.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

A little poking around I found this

The caption for it read (translated from Dutch by google translate)
The PH-CDD has been on the Hoogeveen tower for a year. Unfortunately, this unique amphibious device is exposed to the weather. In my opinion it should actually end up in a museum. This never completed Dijkman Dulkus Dijkhaster IV was designed by the Dutch amateur aircraft manufacturer Cor Dijkman Dulkes. Unfortunately, the builder died before this unit was finished.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

From that Rego, found this -

http://avia-dejavu.net/photo%20PH-CDD.htm

Seems it was to have an engine in a Lake Amphibian-style over-wing pylon.

One of the pics on ABPic shows the engine pylon -

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/PH-CDD

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

The outline of It reminds me of the super Freightliner .. in a very small way. *-)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Well done, chaps - I'm proud of you. So, it's a Dijkman Dykhastar IV, and now I know a little bit more about the designer. Thanks again, all. :cheers:

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Here's a photo I took of this interesting type in March 2017:
DijkhastarIV by Jelle Hieminga, on Flickr

Apparently there were plans to put it on top of the restaurant at the airfield, but it's been parked out in the open for the last two years at least. The Dijkhastar I, which was never offically registered or certified, is in the museum on Texel Airfield.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for that, Jelle. Not sure it's a good idea to mount it on the roof of a building - one strong breeze, and it'll be making its final flight. Couldn't that museum at Texel give it a good home? It's certainly an interesting aircraft, and quite a sophisticated one too.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Hi Paul, I don't think that a museum would be all that interested. Although the story is interesting and it is certainly an enterprising design, this particular type never flew and was never completed. The PH-COR that is in the Texel museum is significant in that it was the first (unofficial) homebuilt aircraft in the country. Its illegal flight from the beach to Rotterdam was extensively covered in the news back then and the designer went on to design and build two other succesfull models before he started on this one. Those two are safe in a hangar somewhere and may still be airworthy.

I think that this is a bit of an unlucky aircraft. If someone would have been brave enough to take over the project and complete it, it might have made an interesting private aircraft.
Last edited by Archer on 29 Nov 2017, 14:16, edited 3 times in total.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!