RIP Christopher Orlebar

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

RIP Christopher Orlebar

Post by TobyV »

I learned from a couple of aviation Facebook groups, that former Concorde pilot and author of the book "The Concorde Story" Christopher Orlebar, sadly passed away yesterday, aged 73. I didn't know him personally, but I bumped into him once at Brooklands on the day that most of G-BBDG arrived by road prior to reassembly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Orlebar

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: RIP Christopher Orlebar

Post by Paul K »

I can't say the name is familiar, but I looked at your link, Toby. He seems to have led a full life, and I think I will look out for his book on Concorde. RIP Mr. Orlebar.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

I have a photo I took of him somewhere, but I have a feeling it was on film, so the negative will be in a drawer somewhere. The following link should take you to a public FB page where no login is necessary:

https://www.facebook.com/mach2magazine/ ... 9816077357

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Rest in peace, Captain Orlebar. And thanks for the link, Toby.

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Regret to admit that I was unfamiliar with the name.
Always sad to hear of deaths, and frighteningly young at 73. RIP Mr Orlebar.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Whilst on 732 fleet as an f/o temporarily posted down to LGW from LHR . Rostered with Chris ..... Mmmm .
BOAC , Concorde , related to Schneider Trophy , well spoken .. thus I a bit nervous .
How wrong was I , made to feel at home straight away . And when 't 'gurls needed more copies of his book to go on duty free trolley , with purchasers assured of a cockpit visit and signature ......
Made my day , 'tho i never had the guts to tell him that my dad had bought the book knocked down to tuppence halfpenny in his village Post Office .

Blue skies and fairwinds Chris .

rgds dave f.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

I'm sad, because I was friendly with him at school, but like so many school friends once we went our separate ways we never met again. He was a gentle man, and a gentleman if you see what I mean. RIP Christopher Orlebar

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

I only met him twice but I was mightily impressed and will treasure the memory. I understand that he was a regular at Brooklands and would keep up to date with the rebuild of G-BBDG. He was also present at the VC10's 50th as a speaker (he flew the type as pilot, navigator and instructor before moving on to Concorde) and turned up at Dunsfold in his blue MGB for the arrival of ZA150. Not long after the landing he made his way to the flight deck, strapped himself into the captain's seat and sat there chatting away about what a lovely type the VC10 was to fly. A great guy and a gentleman who will be missed.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!