New VR Prototype Headset Developed.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

New VR Prototype Headset Developed.

Post by Nigel H-J »

When I read this I thought........YES!!! That is until further down the page I came across how much it will likely cost!! :'(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42963408

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Re: New VR Prototype Headset Developed.

Post by Swanoir »

My 19 year old son recently bought himself a VR set up to go with his games console and it honestly blew me away. The fluidity and immersion was simply breath-taking. And of course the first thing I said was 'They have to develop this for Flight Sim!'
He had a demo of a space flight sim (I forget the name) and I nearly cried when I played it! The ability to turn your head in any direction during a dogfight was like a dream come true. It really is the way of the future.
Incidentally, on another game I became so immersed that whilst reaching down to pick up a gun, I leant on a virtual chair and of course fell right through it and straight onto my non-virtual face :hide:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Swanoir, did you experience any of these problems?

Picture quality on most consumer headsets has suffered by comparison with today's high-resolution smartphone and TV screens, while slow frame rates have often contributed to feelings of nausea among users watching fast-moving content.

This is also caused by latency - when you move your head and the image lags behind slightly.

"This causes your eyes, inner ear, and brain to get out of sync," says Mr Mainelli.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Airspeed wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 02:05

"This causes your eyes, inner ear, and brain to get out of sync," says Mr Mainelli. [/color]
Excessive consumption of alcohol does the same thing so what's the problem..
:dunno:

:)

Swanoir
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Swanoir »

Airspeed wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 02:05
Swanoir, did you experience any of these problems?

Picture quality on most consumer headsets has suffered by comparison with today's high-resolution smartphone and TV screens, while slow frame rates have often contributed to feelings of nausea among users watching fast-moving content.

This is also caused by latency - when you move your head and the image lags behind slightly.

"This causes your eyes, inner ear, and brain to get out of sync," says Mr Mainelli.
Not at all, which really surprised me. The resolution was spot on and there was no lag whatsoever. My only gripe was the size and weight of the headset, which I'm sure will come down in the future as technology evolves. What really struck me was the sheer potential for unlimited applications such as training and learning, not just gaming. It's not just about moving your head, you can crouch, twist, jump, lean etc. Imagine being able to explore First World War trench during a battle or even just exploring your favourite aircraft and be able to manipulate every switch, panel, hatch any other moveable object! The potential is there, I honestly think in a few years time VR will become far more mainstream. I wish I could afford the kit... 8)
I should add though that the quality does seem to vary. My nephew has a VR set up and although it was good and there was no lag, I wasn't too impressed with the graphics as I found them a little fuzzy and blurred. My son's set up is far superior. My nephew's is running off a PC but my son's is running from a games console, maybe that's the difference?

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks Swanoir, interesting report.
I was one of those referred to in the article, who believed that VR graphics were cinema quality.
Imagine if I'd sold my soul to get one, then bought one that was fuzzy! :doh:

Excessive consumption of alcohol does the same thing so what's the problem.. Joe, who told you that?

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I got an Oculus Rift a couple of months back. It does have it's drawbacks, but the level of immersion is fantastic. You really appreciate a well done VC in P3d now. Some VCs that looked good on a 2d screen don't transfer well to VR, particularly if they use flat 2d gauges. Frames rates are not the greatest as my PC is getting on a bit now, but it's smooth enough, and I don't notice any lag now I've got the sliders balanced. No nausea in P3d, by contrast I tried Assetto Corsa (racing game) and couldn't even manage one lap of the Nürburgring without feeling sick!
The resolution is a drawback in P3d and flight sims in general. You can use super-sampling to sharpen things up but that comes with a frame rate hit, so again it's a balance. Some other games I've tried seem much sharper though. I expect they're designed from the outset for VR and can make the most of the technology.
Headsets using higher res screens and the technology featured in the article above will be the way to go in the future, and I'm sure prices will come down.
Dave G.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

So not quite up to Red Dwarf standard then....... :hide:
Keith

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Airspeed wrote:
24 Mar 2018, 10:35

Excessive consumption of alcohol does the same thing so what's the problem.. Joe, who told you that?
The

In the room.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

:party: