HU RAF At 100.......

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

HU RAF At 100.......

Post by Tomliner »

.......Sunday 25th at 20.30 on BBC1. :) EricT
ps don't forget clocks go forward tonight in Europe!
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: HU RAF At 100.......

Post by Airspeed »

Even if I bend my aerial, I wouldn't be able to watch it, Eric. :(
Otherwise would be compulsory viewing.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

No TV here, but I think there'll be plenty about the RAF's centenary via other media. :)

Angus Prune
Comet
Comet

Post by Angus Prune »

On the subject of the RAF Centenary here are the stamps issued by Royal Mail last week
The attachment 20180324_141940.jpg is no longer available
20180324_141940.jpg
(81.01 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
"I don't care how many times they go up-diddly-up-up; they're still gits."

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Questions about those stamps:

Does 1st stand for one pound sterling? If not, 1st what?
I thought that coins and stamps showed the Sovereign's head facing one way, and that when the Sovereign changed, they reversed direction. These stamps show the head looking right and left.
Anyone know why the image has been withdrawn? My guess is to stop naughty people from copying and printing fakes, so how did it get up in the first place?

Angus Prune
Comet
Comet

Post by Angus Prune »

Airspeed wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 13:48
Questions about those stamps:

Does 1st stand for one pound sterling? If not, 1st what?
I thought that coins and stamps showed the Sovereign's head facing one way, and that when the Sovereign changed, they reversed direction. These stamps show the head looking right and left.
Anyone know why the image has been withdrawn? My guess is to stop naughty people from copying and printing fakes, so how did it get up in the first place?
1st stands for First Class, costs £0.67 and using one supposedly guarantees next day delivery. There's also Second Class, slightly cheaper and slower delivery time.

No idea about the Queen's head, sorry.

The withdrawn image was a second lot of stamps showing the Reds, no idea what happened to it so I'll try again.
20180324_142616.jpg
(75.59 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
"I don't care how many times they go up-diddly-up-up; they're still gits."

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks, Angus! ;)

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

The Queen's head looks like it is based upon someone in their 20's.... what is she now? (rhetoric question). :dunno:
Alex

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Did a search, came across this:
http://www.theimportanceofbeingtrivial. ... -face.html

The author writes:
Here comes the plot spoiler then - she faces right. This is because ever since 1660, when Charles II became king, monarchs have alternated - one faces left, the next faces right and so on. The only exception to this rule was Edward VIII. He should have been a right-facer, but insisted on facing left. Shock, not to mention horror: another ancient tradition bites the dust, etc, etc. It never caused a problem, though. As he was only king for 10 months his coins were never issued (though a few were minted.) When George VI took over, he faced the way he would have done if Edward VIII had faced right. In other words, left. So when his daughter became Elizabeth II, she faced right.

If you want to judge whether or not it's her best side, compare a coin with a stamp - she faces left on those. Monarchs always do.

This is clearly not the case.
Most of the time, their Majesties do look left, but there are many instances, particularly silhouettes of the Queen, where she looks right.
Here's a lovely aviation related example:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-phot ... emQ79g-1-0

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Post by AllanL »

Veering off at a vague tangent, after all philately gets you snow-wear (Goodwood Members Meeting reference), it is coming up to the 50th Anniversary of Alan Pollock's flight through Tower Bridge on April 5th '68.

If you have a copy of Hunter Boys, recently on sale in The Works, the first chapter is Alan's tale of his one-man commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of the RAF.

The government of the day had cancelled the official flypast, so Alan decided to take an unofficial tour of RAF bases and the mother of parliaments to show his displeasure. After 3 turns round Big Ben he set off down the river and - apparently on the spur of the moment - took his Hunter through Tower Bridge. :welldone: :welldone:

The powers that were had no more sense of humour then than now, so that was the end of a flying career.

In his story he says that he intends to be on Tower Bridge on April 1st 2018. I do hope he makes it. :cheers:

The official flypast for RAF100 is on Jul 10th. Wonder if I can blag a trip to London that day?