Airfields to close

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Airfields to close

Post by GHD »

George

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Airfields to close

Post by 511Flyer »

Mildenhall is a surprise. RAF Colerne where I spent many happy years also. The army have been in residence for a very long time, but the Bristol University Squadron have been flying from there.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Such things always worry me.
The Victorian State Government sold many schools to repair the deficit, in the early 1990s.
The problem now is that with increased inner city residential areas, there's nowhere to build schools. :doh:

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Wow, I bet all the big construction companies are lining up to get their hands on that land, 10"s of millions to be made from each airfield.

Still, I suppose you have to have somewhere to cram the masses, UK is way overcrowded, that's why I left 25 years ago, there's a TV program I really enjoy "escape to the country" the house prices over there are just bl##dy ridiculous!!

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Mildehnall probably won't close as the Department of Defense has be instructed to reconsider its consolidation with the new administration and the shift in funding priorities. Alconbury and Molesworth are still probably going to close because the units there are primarily "second line" that can be accomodated as planned at Croughton.

Motormouse
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Motormouse »

Be interesting to see how they get around the deed of covenant at Halton, which is something to the effect that if no longer required, Halton House and grounds have to be returned to Rothschild family in same condition as when it was deeded to RAF... gardens landscaped by Capability Brown, stables etc, etc.

Ttfn

Pete
An Elephant is a Mouse designed to
a government specification.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

The actual runway and old squadron buildings may close at Colerne, but is the Army going to stay? They occupy most of the site now.

Why anybody would want to build in Colerne, which on top of a hill in no man's land between Bath and Chippenham, I fail to understand.

:dunno: