Why do Police shoot to kill?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Why do Police shoot to kill?

Post by Vancouver »

simondix wrote:
29 May 2018, 08:14
If you pull a gun or a knife out and use it then you must take the consequences of your action. Too many Police Officers are being persecuted and penalised by being dragged through the courts and judged by people who really haven't a clue what is going on.
A police officer in the UK who volunteers to carry a firearm in the present climate seriously needs his head examining. In the event that he/she actually uses the weapon there are so many hurdles to pass. Aside from questioning their own conscience in justifying their action, there are colleagues they must face and answer to (of course an immediate suspension and a Force mandated barring from speaking to colleagues except Fed Reps gets in the way here). Then there is the immediate IPCC enquiry followed by CPS oversight and a possible Coroners court interrogation. Then Force discipline boards, possible Crown Court trial and even one I never heard of until recently, the IOPC. Also in the case of the Met, the Directorate of Professional Standards.
Too many hurdles I think many would agree. I would not do it again.
Alex

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I know here in the colonies, its not uncommon for officers to use deadly force because "I though they were trying to take my weapon away", which in some cases I am sure is true, but when every officer is carrying a firearm, any scuffle becomes and excuse to shoot. In this country its too late to change it, there are way to many guns in circulation, but hopefully the UK will never have to switch to having every officer armed, simply having a weapon will make it more likely they will be used.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I was an authorised shot till the Stephen Waldorf incident and I handed my ticket in. Firstly I could see what direction it was going and also I lost all confidence in the equipment they gave us, specifically the ammo. The training given to officers other than authorised shots was also not very good in regards to situations where firearms officers were deployed. I assume the matters have been rectified as regards to the equipment.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

thehappyotter wrote:
29 May 2018, 06:29
This is pretty much it in a nutshell (it's far more complex obviously but I'd be here all day.)...
btw Mr Otter, your signature is a link to the much-missed Britsim. :'(
A wishful click on it brings up some awful gambling offer. Just saying. :wasntme:

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

Airspeed wrote:
30 May 2018, 09:48
thehappyotter wrote:
29 May 2018, 06:29
This is pretty much it in a nutshell (it's far more complex obviously but I'd be here all day.)...
btw Mr Otter, your signature is a link to the much-missed Britsim. :'(
A wishful click on it brings up some awful gambling offer. Just saying. :wasntme:
The domain registration has lapsed so I can only assume it's been snapped up by a parasitic gambling company. I'll amend my signature, thanks for pointing it out.

Rob.