Display teams.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Display teams.

Post by Vancouver »

So today finally after many years I achieved seeing the Blue Angels today and can now conclusively state MY best teams, I think I have seen them all bar the Russians. Southern hemisphere excepted.

No.1 by a mile - Red Arrows. Always something interesting going on. never is there a moment when there is nothing to look at. I have seen them several times over the years (4) and they never disappoint.

2 - Snowbirds. Similar report as per the Arrows except there are occasional moments in their display when they are absent for periods. I have seen them over 10 times, again always interesting.

3 - Thunderbirds. Whilst very very good there are long periods when they are out of sight. Their displays are not as varied or "daring' (bad word). The problem being imo that the F-16 is too fast whereas 1 & 2 use training jets. Seen them 3 times

4. - Blue Angels - very tight formations, it's like they are joined at the hip, but just a bit dull to my eye, sorry. Disappointed.

Honorable mention goes out to the Italians I saw once but I like jets better.
Alex

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: Display teams.

Post by DaveG »

I've seen quite a few display teams over the years, mainly the European ones, but not the Blue Angels (yet).
For me, I'd put the Reds and the Italian Frecce Tricolori pretty much neck and neck at the top.
I thought the Thunderbirds were very tight, but ultimately a bit dull.
Dave G.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I saw the Blue Angels at Finningly a few years ago.

The singleton flew along the runway sitting on his tail and set off all of the car alarms :wasntme:
George

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I saw the French Air Force display team, Patrouille de France, at Alconbury many years ago, and they were very good. I think maybe the Alphajet is a bit more susceptible to turbulence than the Hawk, because they bounced about a bit more than the Red Arrows ( who also flew that day ). Bloody good display, though. Never seen the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels - one day, I hope.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Red Pelicans for me.

Nev

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I've seen the Blue Angels twice
Saw the Red Arrows on...tv

Looking at the Stuart Airshow website this evening for info on the coming event In Nov, I noticed a genuine De Havilland Vampire will perform.
*-) :-O
I'm going! :agree:

Mac, you can come too if you want.. :)

PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

I'm a bit out of synch with everyone else here in that, whilst acknowledging their skill, I've never worshipped the Reds. I suppose it comes from being introduced to formation aerobatics by the massed black Hunters of Treble-One (The Black Arrows) at my first Farnborough in 1959 at the very impressionable age of eleven. After that, formations of 9 tiddly little Gnats then Hawks has always lacked something for me.

The most impressive display I saw was at a grey and wet RIAT in the mid-90s. Despite the rain and low cloud, the Patrouille Suisse got airborne in their Hunters (am I giving it away that I'm a Hunter fan?) and did a stunning 'flat' routine - not bad for a group of part-timers!

However, the prize for the most exiting (and potentially most dangerous) display I've ever seen was by the Patrouille de France over a bay in south-west France in the late 80s. The display ended with (what I think is called) a downward bomb-burst at a very low level which, because of the curved shape of the bay, involved the aircraft flying right over the crowd. As we dispersed after the show, we all noticed we were covered in sooty spots, presumably from the coloured smoke that had enveloped us. Incredibly exiting and still remembered clearly after 30 years but not something that would be allowed in this day and age.

Pete

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I remember seeing the Patrouille Suisse in their Hunters at RIAT. They were up directly after the 2 Russian Mig29s collided. Must have shaken them, but they performed a superb display none the less.
Dave G.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

The Red Arrows definitely the best. I was lucky enough to see a number of teams from around the world at AIR'14 in Payerne. I do also like the modern Patrouille Suisse though, flying the F-5 Tiger. You have to give them some extra bonus for some of the terrain they are performing the manoeuvres in:

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

Great pics, as always. Thanks Toby.

Nigel²