Pictures of Antwerp

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Pictures of Antwerp

Post by airboatr »

Nice* photography, Toby.
The train station reminded me of a video Peter McLeland posted years back... of that flash mob
singing Do-Re-Mi.

It's a magnificent edifice.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Nice photo's Toby, especially liked the "View from the roof of the Red Star Line Museum", that could be a painting.

Were you using a fisheye lens or doing panoramic on some of the photos?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Airspeed wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 08:25
Sorry that you had ticket problems. :(
Somewhat self inflicted. I wanted to go on the Fokker 50 because I'd never been on one (last flew on F27-500 in 1996) and the previous incarnation of VLM only flew from Friedrichshafen (not so convenient for me), albeit to Düsseldorf, which would have been useful. It took rather too long (the whole summer) for me to convince SWMBO that Antwerp was worth visiting and to find a mutually convenient date to go. So I booked one day after VLM announced the cull of their entire network other than ZRH-ANR and LCY-ANR, so I knew I was taking a risk. Unfortuately, as I half expected, they didn't last until the day of my flight :(
blanston12 wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 20:01
Nice photo's Toby, especially liked the "View from the roof of the Red Star Line Museum", that could be a painting.

Were you using a fisheye lens or doing panoramic on some of the photos?
Yes, many of them are taken using the Olympus 9mm "bodycap" lens: https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Fisheye- ... B00I19TVU2
The dynamic range was somewhat enhanced using "local tone mapping" in PaintShop. I have now acquired an eye for spotting scenes where I think this technique will work I think.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Lovely photos Toby! Antwerp is indeed a great place to visit, I have always enjoyed it.

I reckon that your Stampe could well be a Stearman, based on the fact that there should be a bit more bracing on that undercarriage for it to be a Stampe. Also, the leading edge on the top wing is too straight, and the fuselage looks to be more round than (almost)flat-sided.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by TobyV »

Archer wrote:
10 Oct 2018, 14:20
I reckon that your Stampe could well be a Stearman, based on the fact that there should be a bit more bracing on that undercarriage for it to be a Stampe. Also, the leading edge on the top wing is too straight, and the fuselage looks to be more round than (almost)flat-sided.
I reckon you're right. I'm no expert when it comes to single engined / light aircraft. In reality it appeared about as big as in the full photo and I suppose I just thought, given where I was and the Stampe & Vertongen museum at ANR, it was probably that, but yes, the longer I look at it, the more apparent it is that it has a radial engine, which I should have heard really! :$