Poppies.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Poppies.

Post by 511Flyer »

My wife and I went to our local town this morning, and although the Poppy sellers were out in force, including several young Army cadets, us Poppy wearers were outnumbered by about 25-1. It's very sad that although people might be happy to give, they wont wear their Poppies.

We went into Sainsburys, and although there was a seller at the entrance and posters in store urging us to buy a Poppy, not one single member of staff was wearing one. Is that company policy I wonder?

A disillusioned ex-service veteran from Walton-on-Thames.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Poppies.

Post by Filonian »

Wear one all year round, our policy.

Fellowship accept that November is remembrance month but we remember all year round.

It is also customary to wear a poppy at every Mess you visit.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Guilty as charged. :$ I just pop them in my pocket usually.
Having read your comment, I will wear in future. Sorry.

This is a large display:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Filonian wrote:
10 Nov 2018, 20:24
Wear one all year round, our policy.

Fellowship accept that November is remembrance month but we remember all year round.

It is also customary to wear a poppy at every Mess you visit, or meeting you attend in November.

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I've got one of those small enamel poppy badges, showing the dates 1918 and 2018. It'll stay fastened to my jacket lapel until the end of the year.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

Paul K wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 19:19
I've got one of those small enamel poppy badges, showing the dates 1918 and 2018. It'll stay fastened to my jacket lapel until the end of the year.
I will wear my enamel one till I buy a new one next year.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I will wear my enamel one till I buy a new one next year.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

The way I've looked at it in the past, is that Veterans don't walk around with a placard saying: "I have been affected by military service."
Likewise, I made my donation, but didn't necessarily want to tell everyone.
If wearing the badge reassures Service and Ex-Service Personnel that they are appreciated, I will gladly wear it. :) :agree:

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

An old pal of mine emigrated to Australia after leaving the RAF in 1969, and then joined the RAAF. He is a member of the Returned Services League, the equivalent of our Royal British Legion.

When he came to visit us 8 years ago, we swapped badges. I now wear his badge with pride, and he wears my RBL badge also with pride.

It may be an ex-service thing, and of course there aren't so many of us around these days.

Den.

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

The older I get the more cynical I get about certain charities. However, without fail I buy poppies every year. I use the plural because I always seem to loose the stick on or pin on types. So this year in addition I bought an enamel one. A while ago I found out that both of my grandfathers had been in WW1. One was invalided out, I’m not sure why, and the other had taken part in one of the last cavalry charges. I have only vague recollections of them. The relative who told me this has since passed away. I was too young to appreciate all this at the time but oh how I wish I could ask them now. The same with my dad who was a gunner in the RN in WW2. May they all rest in peace.EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!